Mushroom Spinach “Risotto” with Quinoa
- 1.5 cup quinoa (any variety)
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 tsp sage, dried
- 1 tsp thyme, dried
- 1 cup white wine
- 2-3 cups of vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp butter or coconut oil
- Melt butter or coconut oil in a large sauce pan with lid on medium heat.
- Sautee onions and mushrooms until they become soft (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add 1 cup of white wine, sage and thyme and bring to a light boil until wine starts to reduce (about 5-7 minutes).
- Add quinoa and stir.
- Add stock and reduce to low heat and cook until quinoa is fluffy and tender (about 20-25 minutes), adding more stock if needed as it reduces.
- Add spinach and stir through quinoa.
- Add in nutritional yeast, salt & pepper to taste. For a more cheesy flavor add more yeast. If you don’t have nutritional yeast, you can still make but it will not have a “risotto/cheese” flavor.
- Serve over a bed of spinach.
*Use remaining risotto for stuffed pepper dish on tomorrow night’s menu.