Lemon and Garlic Shrimp with Broccoli
- ½ lb of shrimp, uncooked and deveined
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2-3 tbsp of cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 cup of broccoli florets, stems chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp butter or coconut oil (if needed)
- 3 tbsp sesame seed oil
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- salt & pepper to taste
- optional: 1 tsp red chili flakes (for spice)
- Vegan Protein Option: mix broccoli with cooked quinoa and serve over a bed of arugula or spinach. See next page for cooked quinoa recipe.
- Marinate Shrimp:
Rinse shrimp and put in a medium mixing bowl. Add lemon juice, garlic cloves, cilantro, olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Mix all ingredients and set aside.
- For the Broccoli:
a. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil.
b. Blanch broccoli florets in boiling water for about 2-3 minutes to soften. Dry them on a towel and set aside.
Blend the sesame seed oil, coconut aminos and optional red chili flakes in a small bowl. You can add more of each ingredient to adjust taste.
c. Heat sesame seed oil mixture in a wok or frying pan on medium heat. When hot, add broccoli and pan fry until slightly charred
- For the Shrimp:
Melt 1-2 tablespoons of butter or coconut oil in a pan and add marinated shrimp. Cook on medium heat for about 3-5 minutes or until cooked through. The shrimp should turn a bright salmon color.
- Serve with broccoli.