Cinnamon-Buckwheat Vegan French Toast
Recipe and Image Source: Go Dairy Fairy
See more at Fitlife.tv Saturday Strategy
- 1 cup plain or unsweetened dairy-free milk alternative (such as coconut milk beverage or almond milk)
- 2 tablespoons buckwheat flour (can sub all-purpose, white-wheat, or millet flour)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar, brown sugar or coconut sugar
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 4 to 6 slices stale bread (sprouted whole wheat or gluten-free bread work well)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons coconut oil, for cooking
- Fresh fruit (like wild blueberries) and pure maple syrup, for serving
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF.
- Place the milk alternative, flour, nutritional yeast, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt in a blender, and blend for 30 seconds.
- Pour the mixture into a dish, and soak bread slices in it for 30 to 60 seconds per side. Carefully remove slices to a wire rack placed over a baking sheet or wax paper (to catch drips). Continue with additional slices until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Heat ½ tablespoon oil over medium low heat. Add 2 slices of the dipped toasted, and let cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until lightly golden on the bottom. Carefully flip, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden.
- Place the cooked slices on the rack in your oven, and let bake for 5 minutes, while you cook the next 2 slices.
- Remove the lightly baked slices and serve with maple syrup. Repeat until all slices are cooked, baked, and served.