Buffalo Chicken Pie
Image credit: Shutterstock
- CHICKEN & VEGGIE LAYER:
- 1 ¼ lb. chicken breast, cooked and chopped, or shredded.
- 2 celery stalks, chopped.
- 1 clove garlic minced.
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp cayenne pepper sauce
- SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
- ⅓ cup paleo mayonnaise
- 1 ½ Tbsp redhot original cayenne pepper sauce
- ½ tsp ground mustard.
- ½ tsp sea salt.
- VEGGIE CRUST INGREDIENTS:
- 2 cups cauliflower, ground in a processor or grated
- 2 eggs beaten.
- 2 ½ tbsp almond flour
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper sauce.
- ¼ tsp sea salt.
- ¼ tsp pepper
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS:
- 2 sliced and seeded mini red and orange bell peppers for garnish.
- Extra hot sauce, to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400 F and grease or oil 5 ramekins (small glass or ceramic bowls), or an 8x8 baking pan.
- In a large skillet on medium high combine: coconut oil, chopped celery, minced garlic, and chopped carrots.
- Sauté vegetables on medium for about five minutes or until veggies soften.
- Add cooked chopped chicken and 2 tbsp cayenne pepper sauce to skillet and stir and sauté on medium for a for 5 minutes.
- Turn skillet down to low and cover and simmer for five minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool a little.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine all the sauce ingredients and stir together.
- Mix chicken-veggie mixture with sauce mixture. Thoroughly coat all the chicken and veggies with the sauce.
- Divide chicken mixture into five servings and spoon into bottom of ramekins, or spoon all into 8x8 baking dish.
- Spread and press chicken mixture into bottom of ramekins or baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the crust ingredients and mix together thoroughly.
- Once completely mixed, divide into five portions and spoon on top of chicken layer in ramekin, spoon all onto baking dish.
- Spread crust mixture evenly over chicken mixture with the back of a spoon and smooth out until covered (as seen in photo above).
- Press lightly the mini chopped and seeded peppers into crust, if desired.
- Bake for 30 minutes or more, or until crust is slightly browned and center is firm.
Serve and enjoy.