PHO-Nomenally Easy Vegan Vietnamese Soup
Written by: Lindsay Sibson
The year was 2005.
It was love at first sight…
And also the first time I got a taste of the phenomenally magical and tasty Vietnamese soup – PHO.
This isn’t just SOUP, people! It’s love in a bowl. It’s a hug when ya need one. It’s… it’s… true love!
Don’t take my word for it – make yourself a date with PHO tonight with this easy vegan pho recipe:
Benefits Of Vegan Pho
- Deliver nutrients in the form of zinc, iron and fiber
- Helps cleanse toxic metals from your body
- Packed with antioxidants
- Increases your energy and helps with weight loss
- Contains a number of antiseptic and antibacterial abilities that make it ideal for boosting the immune system
- Rich source of vitamin C
- Has significant amounts of dietary fiber, helps with digestion
- High levels of protein, potassium, niacin and B vitamins
- Contains calcium, magnesium and phosphorus
- Full of fiber
- Contain B vitamins
- Give you a boost of vitamin C and K
- Low in calories and fat-free
- Helps with the digestion of food
- Protects your eyes from aging and infection
- Rejuvenates skin
- Prevents heart disease
How To Make PHO-Nominally Easy Vegan Vietnamese Soup
|To make the broth
- 8 cups organic vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 whole star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cardamom pod
- 2 tbsp ginger
- ¾ cup rice noodles
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 carrot
- ½ cup enoki mushroom
- ½ cup bean sprouts
1. In a pan over medium-high heat, add the cloves, anise, cinnamon and cardamom until they start to smoke.
- Take off heat and place into a small bowl.
2. Peel and slice onion. Chop the ginger and cut the lemongrass into small pieces (smash the pieces with the side of a knife to release the oils and aroma).
3. In a medium to large pot on medium heat, heat 1 teaspoon coconut oil and add the onion and ginger.
- Cook for 5 minutes until browned.
- Add lemongrass and cook another minute.
4. Add the vegetable broth and whole spice.
- Turn up the heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 2 hours.
5. Cut the lime into quarters, chop the cilantro and julienne the carrot. Wash and trim the mushrooms.
6. In a separate pot, bring water to a boil and add the rice noodles. Cook according to package directions or until al dente.
7. Once the broth is finished simmering, pass through a sieve and discard the onion, ginger, spices and lemongrass.
- Place the broth back in the pot and add salt to desired taste. Add more water if the broth is too strongly flavored.
To prepare the soup:
1. In a bowl, add a portion of the rice noodles, carrots and mushrooms.
2. Ladle the broth into the bowl.
3. Top off with cilantro, bean sprouts, and freshly squeeze limes
I love an extra bit of spice in mine, so I always add some chili and fresh jalapeno slices.
Enjoy this PHO-nominal recipe and cheers to great health!
No juicer? No problem! Organifi Green Juice is a carefully selected blend of 11 different superfoods including turmeric, spirulina, lemon, mint, moringa and more. It was formulated for busy women and men who are looking for a way to super boost their health and support their lifestyle without spending a lot of time or money in the kitchen. Try it today!
-This post contains affiliate links.
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS