This Vibrant Beet Hummus Couldn’t Be Tastier or Easier To Make – And It’s Great for Weight Loss
Written by: Lindsay Sibson
When you are in the mood for a healthy bite before meals, look no further than this colorful Beet Hummus.
You’ve tried the garlic and roasted red pepper hummus, but now it is time to dial up the flavor a notch with this new twist on your favorite dip.
Not only do the beets add a beautiful pop of color, they also contribute a hefty dose of health benefits. Yum!
Health Benefits Of Beets
- Contain a high dose of immune-boosting vitamin C
- Source of phytonutrients, such as betanin
- Rich in essential minerals, such as potassium
- Essential for healthy nerve and muscle function
- Good for your bones, liver, kidneys and pancreas
- Provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and detoxification support
- Fiber content helps keep your digestive tract healthy
This delicious Beet Hummus can be served with vegetables or toasted pita bread.
Homemade Beet Hummus
- 8 ounces chickpeas
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound beets
- ½ cup tahini
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- ¼ cup olive oil
- In a large bowl, cover the chickpeas with cold water and soak overnight.
- Drain chickpeas and place in a large saucepan.
- Add onion.
- Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 1 hour until chickpeas become very soft.
- Drain, but keep 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Allow chickpeas to cool.
- In a saucepan, cover beets with water and bring to a boil.
- Cook until tender.
- Drain and allow the beets to cool.
- Once cool, remove skins and chop.
- In a food processor (or blender), puree beets.
- Add chickpea and onion mixture, tahini, garlic, lemon juice and cumin.
- Process until smooth, add oil.
- Add cooking liquid to achieve desired texture.
- Once all ingredients are mixed thoroughly, pour into a bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
Don’t forget to SHARE this recipe with your hummus-loving friends! Enjoy!
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS