New Study: Sharing Your Weight-Loss Journey Online Increases Success
Written by: Kat Gal
2018 is around the corner. You are full of goals and dreams, many are likely related to your health, emotional health, weight, fitness and overall well-being. You are inspired, motivated and ready to conquer the world this upcoming year.
But how do you stay motivated? How do you stay on track, especially on hard days? How do you rock your goals and change your life for good?
Science Says Sharing Your Journey Online Can Help Your Success
According to a new study by the University of California, Irvine, sharing your weight loss journey with its triumphs and tribulations can play a huge role in achieving success. The study has examined the role of virtual communities and public compliments in making and reaching goals related to weight loss.
It turns out that if you make a public commitment to obtain a personal goal, you are more likely to reach it than if you stay quiet. This particularly seems true for goals regarding weight loss where results are visible and images (proof) can be shared online. Virtual support communities on social media can inspire you, keep you on track and keep you accountable.
Joining virtual communities can provide flexibility, accessibility and availability and often relative anonymity, making it easier and safer for participants to use. Members not only can share their own journeys, but also give and receive advice, encouragement and inspiration to each other.
What If My Goal Is Not Weight Loss?
While a weight loss or fitness journey may be visible with pictures, virtual support groups can help you on a less visual journey, including healing chronic pain and health issues, developing a meditation or gratitude practice, changing your mindset, letting go of emotional and disordered eating, healing mental health issues, working on relationship goals, becoming more organized, living a more green and environmentally friendly lifestyle, quitting alcohol, cigarettes or other addictions, training for a marathon, picking up a new hobby, starting a new career and so on.
Never underestimate the power of support. No matter what your goals may be or where you are at, you deserve your story to be heard, you deserve support and you deserve success. It doesn’t matter if you have 5 pounds to lose or 200, if you want to be a little bit more fit or you are training for a competition, if you are dealing with mild acne or a serious chronic illness, share your journey to inspire others and to maximize your chances for success.
Transformational Stories To Inspire The Heck Out Of You
You don’t have to look too hard for an amazing transformational story. Our very own Drew Canole has shared his transformation journey one green juice at a time through his YouTube videos and blogs. Sharing his journey has not only helped him to make progress and transform his life completely, but has also created an amazing platform dedicated to helping you change yours.
He is not alone. Aime Valpone has created an entire blog for sharing her journey o healing from a multitude of chronic illnesses through a plant-based diet, mindset shift and emotional healing. The documentary May I Be Frank follows Frank Farronte’s journey from addiction and obesity to health and sobriety with the help of a vegan diet. Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead is a documentary following Joe Cross’ journey through a 90 day green juice fast, losing weight and healing chronic illness while interviewing and inspiring others along the way. Nicole Antoinatte has shared her honest journey from being a couch-potato and party-girl to becoming a sober runner and is now sharing her experiences as a thru-hiker. Hannah Howlett has documented her 70 pounds weight loss journey on YouTube eating a plant-based vegan diet. Kelly U is sharing her healing progress from a binge eating disorder and eating intuitively.
How Can You Share Your Journey?
You don’t have to create an award-winning documentary, write a well-known blog or have a popular YouTube channel to document your journey (but you totally can and should if that’s what your heart desires!). There are so many ways to share your goals, progress, hurdles, successes and inspiration with others without focusing on the number of followers.
- Join Facebook communities with others on the same journey
- Comment on Facebook pages, Instagram pictures, other social media posts and blogs sharing your journey and asking your questions (bonus: comment on our posts and pages! We are committed to support you!)
- Share your goals and progress on your social media profile
- Share your journey through videos on YouTube, Facebook lives or snapchats
- Start a blog (you can totally do a free simple blog without any tech knowledge using blogger, wordpress.com or tumblr)
- Find an accountability buddy and message each other frequently (meet in person if you can!)
- Join online groups with others with similar goals (it’s a great idea if you prefer to stay anonymous)
- Find a patron community with a coach, mentor, trainer or other health influencer joining others on the same journey
- Create an email list for select family members and friends for accountability
- Join group coaching programs for a solid plan, support from a coach and a tight community
Apps And Tools That Can Help Your Progress
- My Fitness Pal can help you track your food and calories and keep an exercise journal online.
- Chronometer is an excellent tool to track your food intake, calories, macro and micronutrients and exercise.
- Strava connects athletes, including weekend warriors and beginners. It is particularly great if you are a runner or biker.
- Mealime is a fantastic meal planning app.
- Alltrails is the best app for hikers and trail runners to help you find the right trail.
- Heavyset is particularly awesome if you are into lifting and gym workouts.
- The Blogilates App is not only filled with workouts but provides a fun community too.
- Headspace is one of the best meditation tools to take care of your holistic well-being.
What Else Can Help Your Weight Loss And Health Journey?
If you are serious about losing weight and regaining your health in 2018, consider Organifi. Organifi Green Juice can hydrate and revitalize your cells, naturally balance your hormones, boost your immune function, support your mental clarity and detoxify your body. Organifi Red Juice can revitalize your skin cells, ignite your metabolism, fill you with antioxidants and help your mental clarity. Organifi Gold can calm and relax your nerves, boost your healthy response to inflammation and detoxify and cleanse your body. Organifi Complete Protein can support your weight loss, aid your digestion, boost your immunity and satisfy your taste buds. Cacao Bliss can enhance your mood, boost your energy, reduce your cravings and help your weight loss.
Are you ready to tackle your goals in 2018? Remember, sharing your goals and progress is crucial to your success. Share your health goals with us below and make sure to keep us updated. We want to support you on the way and love hearing your success stories.
And remember, we’re in this together.
Kat Gál is a multi-passionate writer, world traveler, nomad, runner, and cat-person. She is a lifelong learner who lives outside of her comfort zones stretching her boundaries and discovering beauty around the world. She is a Certified Holistic Health and Life Coach who encourages others to embrace their unique authentic selves, follow their heart and find their own version of freedom in life.
Latest posts by Kat Gal (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS