Need More Brainpower? 7 Healthy Side Effects Of Reading
Written by: Lindsay Sibson
It can take you to foreign places without having to get on a plane.
It can make your heart swell with love or cry from sorrow.
And ultimately, it can always make you discover “something new.”
THAT is the power of reading, my friends.
This seemingly simple activity is chock full of complex characteristics and benefits.
Here is why you need to go and grab a book NOW:
7 Healthy Side Effects Of Reading
|Boosts Your Brainpower
- Your brain is a muscle that needs exercise to become stronger
- Reading gives your brain a great “workout”
- Benefits of reading include:
- Sharpening (and maintaining) your memory
- Lowering your risk of age-related brain function decline
- Reducing mental deterioration
|Helps You Relax
- Helps you gain more knowledge
- Kids exposed to reading and books at an early age score higher on overall intelligence exams
- Tip: Choose a traditional book over reading on a screen
- Screen reading can slow you down by 20-30%
|Reduce Your Risk of Alzheimer’s
- Reading engages your brain and keeps your mind stimulated
- Brain INACTIVITY puts you at a higher risk of Alzheimer’s
- Use your brain often by reading everyday
- Reading a book at night signals your brain to relax and prepare for rest
- On the contrary, television, cell phones and other screens give off a light that is disruptive to your body clock and causes sleep disruptions
- Encourage others to reap the benefits of reading by suggesting excellent books
- This is especially important for parents and caregivers to influence children to develop the healthy habit of reading
|Makes You Open Minded
- Reading can help you understand others and become more empathetic
- Other benefits include:
- Being less judgemental
- Understand other people’s emotions
- Help you build strong relationships
Who is your favorite author or your favorite book?
My go-to book that I read again and again is Think And Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill.
Please SHARE your favorite with us in the comment section below!
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS