Natural Shampoo And Conditioner Recipes To Keep Your Hair And Body Healthy
Written by: Brandi Monasco
It’s easy to love the store bought shampoos and conditioners. Who doesn’t love the smell and the soft, clean feeling of your hair after shampooing?
Well, even though you have great smelling hair and a wonderful clean feeling, it doesn’t necessarily mean that your hair is healthy.
In fact, manufactured, store-bought shampoos and conditioners harm your hair.
Shampoo and conditioner have all sorts of chemicals and toxins. We try to focus on eating healthy and eating organic foods to keep chemicals and toxins out of our body, but you probably never realized that those shampoos and conditioners that you purchase at your local drugstore or supermarket are filled with chemicals and toxins.
Every time you wash and condition your hair, you’re left with with hair filled with chemicals and toxins.
One of the main ingredients in shampoo is mineral oil, which is made from petroleum. Mineral oil is a by-product when gasoline is distilled from crude oil (you know those huge oil rigs you see on land and even in the ocean? That’s where crude oil comes from; that’s what they’re drilling for).
The mineral oil coats your hair, giving it that desired “shine.” The oil cannot be absorbed into your skin and it acts as a barrier on your scalp, preventing any normal oils from being released. When your natural oils can’t be released, you end up just having to shampoo your hair again to get rid of the greasy look you get when your hair is “dirty.”
The more shampoo you use, the more shampoo you will need. It’s a vicious never-ending cycle!
Manufactured and store bought shampoos basically strip your hair of its natural oils. These are the oils that actually keep your hair strong and soft.
Instead of using those manufactured shampoos, you can create your own that doesn’t contain chemicals or toxins!
- ¾ cup pure aloe vera gel
- 1 can of organic coconut oil
- Your favorite essential oil
1. Mix all ingredients together in a clean bowl.
2. Pour the mixture into ice cube trays (you might need 2 trays).
3. Place the trays with the mixture into the freezer and let them freeze completely.
4. When you’re ready to use a cube, take out a cube the night before you wash your hair and keep it in a small container in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
5. Simply use as you would your normal shampoo.
Note: keep in mind that this shampoo doesn’t lather
Banana And Coconut Hair Conditioner
- 1 egg
- 1 banana
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
1. Mash the banana with a fork.
2. Mix the egg in with the banana. Be sure to mix well.
3. Add a tablespoon of coconut oil to the mix.
4. Add a tablespoon of honey and mix well.
5. Apply a generous amount of the mixture thoroughly all over your hair, scalp and ends.
6. Leave the mixture on for 30 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water and the natural Shampoo.
BONUS: You can also use just baking soda in your hair to “wash it.” Just make a mixture of baking soda and water (depending on how thick and how long your hair is will depend on how much baking soda you will need). Soak your hair and put the baking soda and water mixture on your scalp, starting at the crown. Massage it a bit and only worry about concentrating on your scalp. The length of your hair will get the natural oils that come from your scalp. And there you go – your hair is naturally clean!
Pretty simple, eh? Give these recipes a try and let us know how it goes (and have fun taking selfies with your nice, naturally clean, gorgeous hair)!
Source: Parker, E. (2014). Natural Remedies Guide for Beginners-Natural Treatments and Herbal Recipes for Healing Yourself without Prescriptions and Achieving Fabulous, Skin and Body. Joy Publishing & Marketing Corporation.
Brandi Monasco is a freelance writer, graphic designer and social media manager from Texas. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts and has recently found a new love for health and nutrition.
Latest posts by Brandi Monasco (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS