How to Make Organic Herbal Cough Drops – That Actually Work
Written by: Lindsay Sibson
Sniffling, sneezing… coughing and wheezing.
Four not so nice words that leave you feeling icky, tired and perhaps even a bit irritated.
It’s no secret, having a cold SUUUUUCKS.
And to make it an even more confusing event, trying to decipher the questionable ingredients in most common cold medicines will leave your head spinning. From dangerous food dyes (yea, I’m talking FD&C blue 1) to sugar-packed syrups, there is hardly anything safe and natural regarding drug store remedies.
To avoid having to risk exposure to these questionable ingredients, a great alternative is to make a remedy yourself with readily available ingredients.
The cough drop recipe below contains ONLY natural, organic and safe ingredients. Make a batch to have available should a cold come a calling!
Benefits Of Natural Cough Drops Ingredients:
Homemade Natural Cough Drops
- ½ cup coconut oil, room temperature
- ½ cup raw local honey
- 1 tsp organic cinnamon (optional)
- Put coconut oil into a mixer bowl and beat it until it's whipped (use a hand or stand mixer).
- Add honey and continue whipping mixture until the oil and honey are blended.
- Add cinnamon (if desired).
- Scoop mixture into small ice cube trays.
- Freeze for 20 minutes or until the cough drops are hard.
- Remove cough drops from ice cube tray and store in an airtight container in your refrigerator.
- Known to naturally suppress coughing.
- Helps with sleeping due to respiratory infections.
- Reduces allergies.
- Take a few teaspoons of local raw honey prior to pollen season to help increase your immunity to pollen.
- Reduces cold and flu symptoms.
- Loaded with powerful antioxidants.
- Has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Helps fight bacterial and fungal infections.
Hopefully there won’t be a next time, but if you do come down with a cold, reach for these natural and effective cough drops to ease your symptoms and soothe your throat.
Know someone struggling with a cold? SHARE this recipe with them now!
Source: The Coconut Mama
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS