Weight Loss Red Lentil Soup Recipe with Carrots, Apples and Sweet Potatoes
Written by: Ricky Elmer
I recently wrote an article on how healthy lentils are for you and mentioned that they are easy to cook. It seemed fitting for me to give you a recipe for lentils that is both easy on the wallet and simple to cook.
This red lentil soup is a great meal for those who wish to lose a little weight without sacrificing flavorful foods. Apples, carrots, lentils and sweet potatoes are combined together to form this soup that packs a serious punch and enhances the weight loss properties of each of these foods; even on their own, these foods make a great choice for a midday snack.
Apples – These red fruits are low in fat, calories and sodium and contain minerals and vitamins along with fiber. This allows for them to help with weight loss in a variety of ways. Low-sodium foods help prevent excess water weight, while fiber makes you feel full for longer periods. The vitamins can also help increase your health and vitality.
Carrots – These orange roots contain relatively no calories per gram, making them have a low energy density due to their low fat, high fiber and water content. This allows for you to fill up while only consuming a few calories, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Lentils – Lentils are low in calories and are almost completely fat-free. They also contain vitamins, fiber, minerals and protein, making them a great food for most any diet.
Sweet Potatoes – These root vegetables are able to increase the levels of adiponectin within your body. Adiponectin is the blood sugar-regulating hormone. Sweet potatoes also rate low on the glycemic index, which means they may prevent blood sugar spikes after each meal. Blood sugar levels that are regulated can help you lose that insistent sweet-tooth that keeps coming late at night while you stay up feeding your mild YouTube addiction.
This red lentil soup, also known as Sweet Potato, Carrot, Apple, Red Lentil Soup, has combined all 4 of these awesome ingredients into a delicious dish. It takes around an hour to make.
There you have it. A recipe that includes four weight-loss foods in the form of a great tasting soup. The next time you cook a meal for yourself, family, or friends, you can offer them a soup that will not only impress them with the taste, but also with its amazing health benefits.
Red Lentil Soup
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- ½ cup red lentils
- ¼ cup grass-fed butter or ghee
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ tsp minced fresh ginger
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- Organic plain or greek yogurt (optional)
- In a large, heavy bottomed pot, melt your butter on medium-high heat. Now throw in the apple, carrots, onion and sweet potatoes. Cook these ingredients for around 10 minutes, the onions should be translucent.
- Add in the cumin, paprika, salt, black pepper, ginger, chili powder, vegetable broth and lentils into the mixture of vegetables and apple. Bring it to a boil on high heat. Once it is boiling, reduce to medium-low, cover and let it simmer for about 30 minutes (the vegetables and lentils will be soft).
- This next step will have to be done in batches. Fill a blender halfway with the ingredients and use the pulse button a couple of times. Now hold down the lid and puree the mixture until it is smooth. Pour into a clean pot and repeat this process until the whole mixture has been pureed. If you have a stick blender you can puree the mixture right in the pot.
- Now pour the pureed mixture back into the cooking pot and bring it to a simmer on medium-high heat. Let it cook for 10 more minutes, adding water as needed to get your preferred consistency. Serve in bowls and add yogurt for garnish.
Rick Elmer is a freelance writer from Texas who enjoys learning about health and nutrition while striving to make the world a better place. He is passionate about music, meditation, art, traveling the world and helping those around him.
Latest posts by Rick Elmer (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS