Lose Weight, Enhance Energy And 6 MORE Reasons Why You Need To Take A Cold Shower Today
Written by: Lindsay Sibson
Hot water, a comfortable mattress, a hair dryer and solitude.
Oh, how I love thee.
These are just 4 of the bazillion things I have dreamed about over the past 2 months while backpacking in Southeast Asia.
This morning, after my ice cold shower in the hostel, I decided to warm myself up by researching the health benefits of taking an arctic-blasting shower.
YESSSSSSSSS – all this chilliness is not in vain. Turns out taking a cold shower does many incredible things to enhance your health.
Check ‘em out below!
8 Reasons Why You MUST Take A Cold Shower Today
|Enhances Energy Levels
- Gets your heart pumping and your blood flowing
- Increases your energy level after the shower
- Helps reduce stress
- Cold water stimulates your brain to produce noradrenaline
- A chemical that is naturally produced in your body that helps fight depression
|Promotes Weight Loss
- Helps your body burn “brown fats”
- Brown fats are used by your body to produce internal heat
- Cold showers promote the production of MORE brown fat instead of white fat (harder for your body to burn and inactive)
- MORE brown fat = MORE fat your body burns
- Cold showers help increase your metabolism
- Leads to fat burning and weight loss
- Makes your hair look silkier and more glossy
- Cold water causes the pores and cuticles in your scalp to constrict
- Stops dirt from accumulating in your scalp
- Also helps slow down hair loss
- Provides flushing for the organs
- Produces a new supply of blood
- Contracts your muscles
- Helps eliminate toxins and poisonous waste
- Cleans the circulatory system
|Regulates Your Body Temperature
- Cold showers make your body increase your internal thermostat
- Results in thermogenesis
- Encourages your body to internally generate heat
- PREVENT yourself from being cold by taking a cold shower a few times a week
|Boosts Your Immune System
- Strengthens your mucous membranes
- Helps resist high fever, colds, coughs and allergies
- Cold water causes the pores in your skin to shrink
- Stops them from being clogged with dirt, which causes acne
Ready to get chilly?
Follow these 3 Tips to get the MOST benefit out of your cold shower:
1. SLOWLY transition from warm – to cool – to cold.
- Don’t just jump into the cold shower and shock your system.
2. Make sure your deep tissue and bones are warm BEFORE you turn the water to cold.
3. Keep your cold shower time to a minute or less!
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS