Keep the Guilt Out of Your Restaurant Meals
By Steve Fillmore
Who doesn’t love going out to eat? You don’t have to worry about all that meal preparation and clean up, plus you get a chance to try something different and delicious.
But when going out to eat, you may be adding an additional 250 calories per day (at least), plus additional amounts of saturated fat, sugar and salt.
If you were to eat Applebee’s Pecan Crusted Chicken Salad, you’d ingest 1,340 calories, 16 grams of saturated fat and 1,860 mg of sodium. And who doesn’t love dessert? Just one serving of BJ’s Peanut Butter S’mores Pizookie will add 1,580 calories, 31 grams of saturated fat and 670 mg of sodium.
Here are a few ways you can go out to eat and still enjoy dining without feeling guilty and without adding those additional calories and fat.
1. Check for how foods are made – Focus on menu items that are steamed, baked, broiled or grilled. Anything that’s fried will add additional unwanted calories and fat.
2. Choose veggies – Choose vegetable based sauces instead cream based sauces. Vegetable based sauces and soups are lower in calories and fat.
3. Beware of sauces – Most dipping sauces, dressings and condiments are high in calories, saturated fats and sodium (not to mention high fructose corn syrup).
4. Get trim – Trim your portion and share. Portion out half of your entree and take the leftovers home to eat later.
5. Drink mindfully – Most cocktails, sodas and shakes are loaded with sugar and unwanted calories. Skip the sugary drinks and drink some water or tea instead.
It’s pretty simple to dine out and not load up on those additional calories, saturated fats and sodium when you learn to create mindfulness around meal-time and remember that food is fuel and should be treated as such.
Steve Fillmore is a 2-time cancer THRIVER! His motto in life is: Love, Laugh, Live - Love yourself first; Laugh through all the crazy times; Live for life right now! Through proper diet, exercise and mindfulness, Steve has been able to recreate his body to work with and for him.
For fun, you can find Steve either teaching a Zumba class, or creating websites for clients.
Latest posts by Steve Fillmore (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS