Is It Time For A Detox? Here’s What You Need To Do
By Brandi Monasco
You feel tired. Achy. Little to no energy. Your mind is foggy and you can’t concentrate.
Does this sound familiar?
If so, it might be time for a good DETOX.
Detoxing is essentially removing harmful or toxic substances from your body. Detoxing leads to better health and is a great kickstart to a healthier lifestyle. Your body already has a natural detoxification system, but sometimes it needs a little boost to get going.
Your body is exposed to harmful toxins every day, whether it’s in the food you eat or the air you breathe, there will always be toxins that enter your body. Our food is filled with herbicides, pesticides, hormones and preservatives. When you are out and about, you are exposed to the pollution in the air. You are even exposed to toxins in your daily beauty care products and household cleaners.
If you have ever experienced any of the following symptoms, your body might be telling you that it’s time for a detox:
- Low Energy Or Fatigue. Do you wake up after 7 or 8 hours of sleep and still feel like you have no energy? Having low energy could mean that your body is carrying around extra weight in the form of undigested or incompletely digested food. Having low energy or fatigue goes hand in hand with insomnia, which is another sign that your body needs to detox.
- Insomnia. Your insomnia may actually be caused by an increased toxin buildup whether it is toxins from the food you eat or environmental toxins. Melatonin is a chemical in your brain that signals your body to fall asleep. When there is a toxin buildup, melatonin is reduced and therefore, insomnia occurs.
- Complexion Breakouts And Acne. Your skin can tell the story of what is going on underneath. Being exposed to environmental toxins such as cigarette smoke or paint fumes can lead to breakouts. Acne or getting the occasional pimple is also an indicator that your body is trying to get rid of something. Recent breakouts can mean that you are consuming too much sugar or that you are not consuming enough healthy fats such as extra virgin coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil.
- Constipation. This is a sign that your body is telling you that something isn’t quite right in your digestive system. The toxins in your body are not being passed through your intestines and out of your body. When you are constipated, the toxins, among other things, build up and make things even worse.
- Weight Gain Or Inability To Lose Weight. Eating healthier, working out and still can’t seem to lose weight? It might be time for a detox. Your body could be busy fighting against the toxins in your body and could just need a break. Detoxing your body allows you to start back at square one rather than starting at a disadvantage.
If you do any kind of research or reading on the internet, you will see that there are many different kinds and ways to do a detox, but it’s always best to detox in a natural way. Here are a few ways to get started:
- Drink Lots Of Water! Your body needs water and drinking water is the first step in a detox. Drinking plenty of water every day will help flush out the toxins that have built up in your body.
- Avoid foods that contain refined sugar, processed foods, foods that contain excessive salt and dairy fried foods and fast foods, including the “ready-made” meals.
- Avoid Caffeine. When you are detoxing, drinking caffeine such as coffee decreases nutrient absorption and makes your body more acidic.
- Eat More Fiber. To naturally detox your body, increase your fiber consumption. Eating more fiber can help your body get rid of toxins much easier and faster. Be sure to eat fresh fruits and vegetables, preferably organic.
- Lay Off The Bad Habits For A While. If you smoke or drink alcohol, stop doing these things while you are on a detox. Smoking is a massive source of toxins and alcohol contains sugar.
A good detox could really turn your whole health transformation around. Are you ready to get started? What are your favorite ways to detox? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
Brandi Monasco is a freelance writer, graphic designer and social media manager from Texas. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts and has recently found a new love for health and nutrition.
Latest posts by Brandi Monasco (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS