Is Diet Soda Bad For You? Here’s What It Does To Your Body
The Truth Behind Diet Soda
If you are one of those people who prefer diet soda over regular, think again.
But diet soda has no calories. It must help me to lose weight.
Nope, it actually doesn’t. According to research, you should avoid diet soda as much as regular, sugar-sweetened soda. Sweeteners, including no-calorie sweeteners, such as saccharin, sucralose and aspartame should be limited for health reasons.
With the obesity epidemic on rise, businesses are trying to create and sell products that promise weight loss. Unfortunately, when it comes to diet sodas, this is false advertising.
Artificial sweeteners can actually lead to overeating and the increased risk of metabolic syndrome.
Is Diet Soda Bad for You?
The short version is: yes.
Diet sodas filled with artificial sweeteners have been linked to various health issues and diseases, including:
- Depression: More than four cans a day can increase your risk of depression by 30 percent.
- Kidney damage: Long-term diet soda drinking can reduce kidney function by 30 percent.
- Type 2 diabetes & metabolic syndrome: Diet soda can increase the risk of metabolic syndrome by 36 percent and type 2 diabetes by 67 percent. Artificial sweeteners found in diet sodas have also been linked to glucose intolerance.
- Cardiovascular disease: Drinking diet soda can increase the risk of stroke and heart attack.
- Compromised lungs: Diet soda can increase the risk of asthma and other lung issues.
- Brain and cognition: Artificial sweeteners compromise the brain’s antioxidant defense system.
- Cancer: Artificial sweeteners have also been linked to cancer.
Furthermore, they can also lead to headaches, migraines, weight gain, anxiety, chronic pain, fatigue and more.
All in all, diet soda is not a healthier alternative to regular soda. It doesn’t have weight loss benefits and in reality, can lead to weight gain and many health issues.
What To Choose Instead?
If you are in the mood for a fizzy drink, you can choose a club soda, probiotic-rich kombucha, or hydrating fizzy vitamin-supplement.
If you are in the mood for a delicious, sweet and hydrating drink that can actually boost your metabolism, help weight loss and boost your brain power, choose Organifi Red Juice. It’s made with powerful superfoods, including reishi, cordyceps and superberries to improve your health. Just mix it with water and you have a healthy drink within seconds.
How will you cut down on your diet soda intake? What is your favorite healthy drink? Share in the comments below. We would love to hear from you.
And remember, we’re in this together.
Kat Gál is a professional holistic health writer who helps health, wellness and nutrition businesses to market their products and services through quality online content. She is also a Certified Holistic Health & Life Coach. Kat is a multi-passionate writer, world traveler, nomad, runner, and cat-person. She is a lifelong learner who lives outside of her comfort zones stretching her boundaries and discovering beauty around the world. Reach out if you are looking for amazing blog content at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest posts by Kat Gal (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS