How YOU Can Start LIVING Today
Written by: Lindsay Sibson
I love that word. Anomaly happens to be my favorite word in the English language. I wish I could take credit for my love of this word, but it was one of my best friends that pointed out to me the beauty of it.
So What Is An ANOMALY?
According to thefreedictionary.com, an anomaly is a “deviation or departure from the normal or common order, form, or rule” or, “one that is peculiar, irregular, abnormal, or difficult to classify.”
In a world where the norm is to go to college, get a good job, get married, buy a house and work day in and day out doing the same thing – I will HAPPILY be the anomaly. I tried it all out, I did. But after nearly a decade of working post grad, I found myself utterly stressed out, uninspired and just plain tired! I had a good job as a Director of a School. I lived by the beach. I had a comfortable house. I had great friends. Yet, something inside of me felt “off.”
Instead of simply convincing myself that “this is just the way life is,” I decided to follow my heart and gut feelings. I had a dream… and it was about freaking time to make that dream come true!
So, in April 2014, I packed a small backpack full of clothes and my laptop and set out on my dream to travel the world. Fast forward to almost a year later and I feel absolutely happy, inspired and fulfilled. My life purpose is to travel and inspire possibility in others.
Getting to where you want – Yes, YOU reading this article – and living your dreams is possible! Perhaps living out of a backpack isn’t your thing, but you DO have a “thing” and it’s about time you started to passionately LIVE it.
Here Are 22 Ways To Find Your Life Purpose And LIVE It:
1. Build BELIEF – In my opinion, this is the #1 skill needed to find your life purpose and LIVE IT. Embrace an attitude of thinking your dreams are possible and BELIEVE that you can make them happen.
2. Soak It Up Like A Sponge – Learn, learn and then learn some more in the form of books, podcasts, blogs, YouTube videos… Never stop learning about the world and more importantly, about YOURSELF. What do you like? What are your values? What inspires you? And the most important question of all… What excites you? Because THAT is what will get you out of bed in the morning.
3. Create A Vision Statement/Board – Put a pen to paper and write down EXACTLY what your ideal life looks like. Cut out photos to represent what you want. Take a moment each day to read, observe and reflect on your vision.
4. Give Yourself Permission – Allow yourself to dream BIG. Develop a mindset of “Yea – it’s possible!” versus thinking about all the ways that you could fail or how things could go wrong.
5. When The Student Is Ready, The Teacher Appears – Open your mind and heart to the world. What have you been wanting to learn? Express your desires to others and be ready for when the teacher/mentor appears.
6. Pay Attention To Your Thoughts – What do you think about all of the time? Pay attention to the conversations happening between your ears. Are you thinking about what you WANT? Or what you don’t want? To find your life purpose, you have to program your mind to continually focus and think about what you WANT in life.
7. Play, Laugh, Learn – Let loose a little bit and play around. When was the last time you had the giggles? Watched a comedy? It’s okay to laugh, in fact, it’s GOOD for you! I was on the street in Italy recently when the older man in front of me started running and farted – loudly! I couldn’t help but chuckle. When something is funny, allow yourself to smile, play and laugh.
8. Clear The Clutter – It’s time to overhaul your environment. Take a look at your “stuff.” Are you using everything? Does each thing make you happy? If not, CLEAR it out (my suggestion is to donate it to a shelter). Also, clear out the mental junk in your mind by either journaling or speaking to a confidant. By clearing out the clutter, you will make room for what you WANT, for what makes you happy.
9. Develop Patience – Things most likely will not happen overnight. It will be a journey to find your life purpose… So accept each moment for what it IS instead of what you want it to be. Find joy in each step of the way.
10. Follow Your Bliss – What makes you smile and laugh? GOT IT? Now go do more of that.
11. Move Your Body, Baby – I have had so many “AH-HA” moments when I am moving my body. Go for a long walk. Throw some weights around in the gym. Stretch. I swear, it unlocks your mind.
12. Chill Out – On the contrary to moving your body, also take adequate time to rest. Take a siesta. Sleep well. Soak in a bath. Relax.
13. Put On Blinders – Years ago, I stopped watching the news. Knowing how many people were murdered last night terrified me. So I simply started filtering the information I allowed into my mind. Choose to read and watch uplifting material. YouTube, Mindset Monday or TED: Ideas Worth Spreading are great places to find inspirational messages.
14. Give It A TRY – Have you been thinking about taking a cooking class? Dance class? Getting involved in online dating? Stop stalling and just give it a try! Also, apply this to asking for what you want. What is the worst that could happen? The person says “no?” No big deal!
15. Listen To People’s Advice… And Then Do What You Want To Do Anyway – It’s your life, after all.
16. Compare Yourself With Yourself – Stop comparing yourself to your best friend, coworker, or neighbor. The only person you should compare yourself to is the person you were yesterday. Are you a smidgen “better” than you were yesterday? If the answer is yes – GREAT! If not – stop and reflect on what you can adjust to make your life’s purpose come alive.
17. Dismiss “Imposter Syndrome” – Want to be a health coach? Author? Designer? Yet, when you go to research the market, you find bazillions of other people doing what YOU want to do. The beauty is that they are not YOU. What YOU have to offer is 100% unique. Unless there is a clone of you in the world, you are absolutely special and one-of-a-kind.
18. Express Yourself – Speak up about what you want. Don’t be shy with your dreams. Speak your truth, always from a place of love.
19. Burn, Baby, Burn – In Tenerife, Spain, I attended a beach party on “The Night of San Juan”. One of the activities was writing down all of your worries and concerns… and then throwing them into the bonfire. It signifies letting go of the past and what’s holding you down. It’s quite liberating! Let. It. Go.
20. Do What You Can, With What You Have, Where You Are – Well said, Theodore Roosevelt.
21. Become The Type Of Person You Want To Be BFF’s With – It’s a Golden Rule to treat others how you want to be treated. Do you like to hang out with a Debby Downer? No, of course not! Quit complaining and making excuses and start becoming the type of person YOU want to be.
22. Because You Were Born This Way – We all have natural talents and abilities. Think back to when you were a child and what you LOVED doing. Take time to explore your talents and follow the activities that make you feel happy and vibrantly alive.
It’s time to take the wheel and start driving your life in a direction that makes you excited for the future. Find and connect with people who inspire you. You spend 40 hours or more per week working at a “ho-hum” job – yet, how much time do you spend working on YOU? It’s time to take a stand and become the CEO of all things Y-O-U.
Become the anomaly.
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS