How You Can Naturally Battle Depression
By Brandi Monasco
Being depressed can make you feel hopeless and sometimes even worthless. If you battle depression, you are not alone. 1 in 20 Americans suffer from depression and oftentimes in silence.
If you are someone who fights with depression, there are natural ways that can help you fight it. It will take some work, but it can be done.
Here are some good ways to start. Just take it all one step at a time and see where it takes you. Remember, you are in control of yourself and your life, even when it doesn’t always feel like it.
1. Get Into A Routine. If you are feeling depressed, you might need to get into a routine. Sticking to a regular schedule can make a big difference, whether you walk the dog at a certain time every day, or call your best friend at the same time every day, or develop a morning routine. Whatever you choose to do, maintaining and keeping a regular schedule can help.
2. Set Goals. When you are depressed, you can often feel like you are unable to accomplish anything and that makes you feel worse. Try setting goals for yourself each day. Start with very small goals, things that will be easy for you to accomplish such as taking a 30-minute walk around the park every day.
3. Exercise. Speaking of walking, exercise triggers the “feel-good” chemicals in your brain (endorphins). Regular exercise can help encourage your brain to basically rewire itself and you will begin to feel better.
4. Eat Healthy. Eating a healthy diet and making sure not to overeat can help you feel better. Diets that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as salmon can help ease your depression.
5. Get Enough Sleep. Your body can’t function when you are tired. Make sure that you are getting the proper amount of sleep each night that your body needs. If you need to take a little nap during the day, that is okay too. Taking naps are actually really good for your brain.
6. Take On Responsibilities. Being depressed can make you want to pull away from your life and to give up on your responsibilities, but don’t let yourself. If you stay involved in your responsibilities, you are actually doing yourself a favor. Your responsibilities ground you and give you a sense of accomplishment. Just make sure not to over do it or take on more than you can handle.
7. Think Positive. Try to stay clear of negative thoughts and if needs be, negative people. When you are fighting depression, a lot of it is mental. Try keeping a journal of things that make you feel happy during the day or keep positive quotes in areas of the house that you will notice.
If you are just feeling blue or are constantly battling depression, trying one or all of these natural ways might help to ease the fight. If you feel that your depression is worse and you are not able to overcome it, it might be time to speak with your doctor.
Remember, we’re in this together: you are not alone, friend.
Do you have any tips for how to naturally help fight depression? Please feel free to share with us in the comments below.
Brandi Monasco is a freelance writer, graphic designer and social media manager from Texas. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts and has recently found a new love for health and nutrition.
Latest posts by Brandi Monasco (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS