If You’re Thinking of Using Coconut Oil in Your Hair – Read This First
Written by: Lindsay Sibson
I’ve tried it ALL. Why? Because my hair is just “there.” And my patience lasts for all of 5 minutes when I am trying to style my hair.
If you are anything like me, you’ve tried a bunch of goops, goos, gels, sprays and other products and STILL nothing.
BUT, just you are about to lose faith that you will ever achieve the luxurious hair your desire, COCONUT OIL steps in to save the day (and your hair).
Benefits Of Coconut Oil For Your Hair
- All natural
- Contains no harsh chemicals
- Rich in antioxidants
- Helps improve scalp health
- Has antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties
- Safe, effective and reasonably priced
- Is safe to use for both adults and children
How To Use Coconut To Get Luxurious Hair
Tip: The amount of coconut oil you use is KEY to making it an effective product for your hair. Start with a small amount and play around with how much you use. This is especially true if you have fine hair! Start with a few drops and you can always add more as desired.
For best results, choose unrefined, virgin coconut oil.
|Grow Your Hair
- Coconut oil can help you grow thicker and longer hair
- Rich with vitamin K and vitamin E, which makes your hair follicles healthy
- The essential nutrients in coconut oil works their way into your hair shaft
- Improves the overall health of your hair
- Massage coconut oil into your scalp to help stimulate and improve blood circulation, which supports hair growth
- Using 1 teaspoon of oil, massage your scalp with a gentle pressure for 10 minutes
- Add 4 drops of rosemary essential oil, which also helps enhance circulation
- Put a shower cap on for 10 minutes and allow your body heat to work with the oils
- Repeat 4 times per week for best results
- Effective for thinning hair as well as hair that is falling out while washing, brushing and styling
- Caused by dry skin conditions
- coconut oil is extremely moisturizing
- Also caused by yeast-like fungal infections
- Coconut oil has strong antifungal, antiviral and antimicrobial properties
- Targets fungus and helps kill bacteria and viruses on your scalp
- Common dandruff shampoos contains harmful chemicals that are dangerous for your scalp health
- Use coconut oil for a week to start seeing results
- To help dandruff:
- Apply this mixture AFTER washing your hair with a natural shampoo
- Mix 2 teaspoons of coconut oil with 5 drops of one of these essential oils:
- Tea tree, lavender, wintergreen, or thyme (all help fight yeast and fungus)
- Massage onto your scalp, neck, forehead and behind your ears
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave for 30 minutes
- Heat the cap using a blow dryer on low heat or by sitting in the sun
- Remove cap and wash your hair with a natural shampoo
- Repeat 3 times per week for best results
- Helps to prevent thermal damage from hair dryers, curling irons and flat irons
- Can tame flyaways and frizz
- Use coconut oil as a styling product in the following ways:
- Tame Frizz: Warm a small amount (¼ – 1 teaspoon) of oil in your palms and smooth on from roots to tip. Blow dry and style as desired.
- Will leave your hair soft, shiny and manageable
- Sun Protection: Hair is prone to sun damage. Coconut oil has a natural SPF of 8 and can be used as sunscreen
- Use it as a leave-in conditioner if you plan a day out in the sun
- Detangler: Penetrates your hair shaft and improves hair break stress. Makes it easier to remove knots
- Smooth a small amount of oil through your hair
- Use a wide tooth comb and work your way from the bottom to your roots
- When used regularly, coconut oil improves the overall health of your hair and prevents tangles
- The ONLY oil that reduces protein loss
- Protein loss in hair leads to breakage and dryness
- Lauric acid penetrates your hair shaft
- Nourishes your hair with minerals, medium-chain fatty acids and vitamins
- Helps prevent damage from brushing and combing
- Safe for use on children
- Use it as an intensive leave-in conditioner for a few hours or even overnight
- Start by using a VERY small amount (1 teaspoon or less) and work it into your hair then add more if desired
- Pay attention to the ends and the roots of your hair
- Cover with a shower cap and leave on for at least 1 hour
- Gently wash your hair and style as normal
Other Natural Hair Care Tips
- Drink water: it keeps your body hydrated, including your hair and skin
- Eat healthy fats
- Use ONLY natural hair care products (shampoo, conditioners and styling agents)
As you can see, coconut not only deserves a place in your kitchen, it also is extremely beneficial to use in your beauty routine.
What is YOUR favorite way to use coconut oil? Tell us in the COMMENTS below!
Source Image Source
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS