How To Take Back Your Mornings Even If You’re Not A Morning Person
Written by: Brandi Monasco
Mornings aren’t always easy when you’re not a morning person. Maybe you are one of those people that feel their best when they get out of bed around 9 or 10am. That is great for the weekends, but in the real world (during weekdays) it is usually not possible. For most of us, we have responsibilities and need to rise early to get things done and to get to work on time.
If you are not a morning person, but must get up early for work, school, or even the kids, try these simple steps to make sure that you get back your mornings and to ensure that you are as productive as you can be.
The Night Before
- Plan Ahead. Have a ritual that you do the night before you need to wake up early. If you have consistent work or school hours having a ritual to do before bed for the next morning will make your mornings easier and calmer.
- Set out your clothes for the next day so that you are not rushing to decide what to wear.
- Pre-program or set up your coffee maker so it will be ready to go when you are.
- Make your lunch for the next day that way it will be ready and you won’t be forced to eat out at lunch.
- Think About Your Wake Up Time. Figure out what time would be best for you to wake up so you have plenty of time to get yourself ready and to get the kids ready for school (if you have them). You might need to take the dog out for a quick walk before leaving for work, so be sure to add this into your time.
- Disconnect Yourself. Turn off all electronic devices before you go to bed. Having electronic devices on while you sleep can reduce your quality of sleep making it harder for you to get out of bed the next morning. This means turning off televisions, cell phones, lights, anything that can distract your restful sleep.
In The Morning
- Set a Routine. Start each day the same way. Get out of bed, shower, get the kids up, start getting them ready for the day, get ready for work. However and whatever you need to do to make sure you are able to set a consistent routine that you can do from day to day.
- Don’t Hit The Snooze Button. Hitting the snooze button will just make you want to stay in bed longer and it will throw off your routine once you have one established. It might even make you feel groggy and it could take you a few hours just to function properly. Try getting out of bed on the first alarm. If you need to, place your alarm across the room, out of arm’s reach, so you will have to get out of bed to turn it off.
- Don’t Stress Out. If you get stressed out first thing in the morning, it will set your day into a negative downward spiral. Being stressed out first thing in the morning will make you think negative thoughts and put you in a “funk” that will last all day long.
- Get Moving. Do a quick stretch, a workout, or even yoga. Get your blood flowing and your body moving. Doing this will make you feel more alert, more motivated, and you will feel great for the rest of the day. Don’t overexert yourself as you might feel tired later on.
- Don’t Get On Social Media Or Email. Wait until your morning rush is over and everyone is ready for school or work and are done with their morning routines. Try to stay offline as long as possible during the morning. You don’t want that one mean email from your client to upset you so early; it could throw you off for the rest of the day. Try to wait until you get to work or get things settled down before you get online.
It’s understandable if you’re not a morning person. There’s a lot of people who aren’t. If you have a consistent work or school schedule, it is best to get a routine going to make sure that your mornings aren’t hectic or rushed and you’re left feeling stressed out.
If you need help getting going in the morning, try these steps. Let us know what you think!
Brandi Monasco is a freelance writer, graphic designer and social media manager from Texas. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts and has recently found a new love for health and nutrition.
Latest posts by Brandi Monasco (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS