How To Stay Passionate On A Busy Schedule
By Amber Alexander
When you have a dream about the way you want life to be, or the way you want life to feel, it is really easy to get frustrated when it doesn’t happen as fast as you’d like it to. It’s also really easy to get bogged down in the daily stress of life and feel like there is no way to make room for the kind of life you want to cultivate.
Just because you can’t take the leap all at once to live the life of your dreams right this moment, doesn’t mean you have to put your dreams and your joy to the side completely.
In fact, finding small ways to include more of the things that make you happy into your life now will actually help propel you into that life you have been dreaming of even faster!
There is a reason that artists submerge themselves into a world surrounded by their craft. It helps them hone their skills, yes, but it also keeps their fingers to the pulse of current trends and close to sources of inspiration for further masterpieces.
Life in general can be like this. Surrounding yourself with people, events, activities and reminders of what you are wanting to cultivate will continually and positively push you closer to your jumping off point.
They don’t have to be grand gestures or big chunks of time, either. Just 5-10 minutes here and there can make a world of difference. So, don’t let your current situation stand in the way of the life you dream of and deserve!
Here are my favorite tips on cultivating more of your own joy and some of my favorite examples of people who have done so for themselves.
1. Eat the elephant one bite at a time – Always strictly focusing on the grand end goal can be overwhelming. If writing brings you joy, take 5 minutes after you wake up or before you go to bed to write a little bit each day.
No matter what your joy is, doing a little bit every day will help you stay in the mindset and flow of it all so that, when you do have more time to spend with it, you are ready to jump in and go instead of starting anew every time.
A little bit every day adds up to a lot over time and certainly adds up to way more than if you wait to begin until you can dedicate a big chunk of time to it.
2. Schedule time for your joy just like you would a business meeting – For most of us who use planners or calendars, our days are filled with penciled in meetings, deadlines, exams, medical appointments and commitments for other people that require your time. It is very rare to look in someone’s calendar and find time for joy or entertainment or relaxation in there.
If you are the kind of person that sticks to the schedule you write for yourself in your planner, or if you plan away all of your free time, this can be a really effective method to carve out time.
Schedule in time for yourself to do what brings you joy and honor that appointment you have made with yourself just like you would a meeting with your boss.
3. If you are stuck on ideas for things that make you happy, try instead to help make others happy – Random acts of kindness will lift your spirit and infuse life with joy. These don’t have to be grand gestures, either. Simple things like smiling at strangers, letting someone go ahead of you in line, holding the door open, or offering to lend a hand can all help other people tremendously and in the process make your heart feel lighter.
4. Join someone else and participate in what brings him/her joy – Learn from them about their joy-bringer, understand what about it brings them joy and try it on for size.
5. Those that find the most joy in life are often those that look for it – Be a beauty-finding, gratitude-expressing, joy-seeking, laughing, dancing, smiling spirit and all the joy is yours for the taking.
The great thing about joy is that, the more we give and feel, the more we create. The more time you make for the hobbies that you wish were a bigger part of your everyday life or your career, the bigger role they will play over time and the closer your dream or goal will be to a reality. So don’t be afraid to dream bigger. Hold on to it and work towards it, one step at a time!
As a Certified Holistic Health Coach, Amber Alexander follows her passion for vibrant wellness by supporting others in cultivating greater health and joy, specializing in family nutrition and individuals recently diagnosed with autoimmune diseases and/or food sensitivities.
When not working to make the world a healthier place one person at a time, she can be found on her yoga mat breathing deeply, in her kitchen cooking up nourishing deliciousness for her family and loved ones, or out dancing in the woods. She strives everyday to do at least one thing that infuses her whole being with radiance, joy and strength and believes that a hug can solve almost any quandary.
Latest posts by Amber Alexander (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS