How To Stay Healthy Eating Out
Written by: Brandi Monasco
Going out to eat with family and friends can be fun and sociable. But when you are trying to eat healthy, it’s not always easy.
Not only do you get plates of food with servings for four people, but you also don’t know if the food you are eating is actually healthy or if you can even get anything healthier.
Here are a few tricks and tips for eating out so that you can make sure to stick with your goal.
1. Before You Go, Read The Menu. If you’re going somewhere that you’re not too familiar with, see if you can look at the menu before hand. Many restaurants have their menus online or on a phone app. See if you can pull it up before you head to the restaurant and make a decision. This way, you are not too distracted or tempted by unhealthy choices.
2. Drink Water Before And During Your Meal. Of course water is always going to be the best thing you can put into your body, but it is also beneficial to drink water before and during eating. A study showed that people who drink 17oz of water about half an hour before eating a meal consumed fewer calories than those that didn’t drink water.
3. Have A Healthy Snack Before You Arrive At The Restaurant. Arriving at the restaurant hungry could make you overeat. Having a low-calorie, low-fat and high-protein snack like a handful of almonds can help you feel more full and will help prevent overeating.
4. Check How The Food Is Cooked And Prepared. Check to see how your food is going to be cooked or prepared. Look for foods that have been steamed, poached, roasted, or grilled. These types of cooking methods equal less fat.
5. Order Your Meal Before Everyone Else. Without noticing it, other people and their decisions can easily influence yours. When it comes time to order, order before everyone else so you won’t be tempted to order something unhealthy.
6. Ask To Make A Healthy Swap. If you find that you really want that grilled chicken sandwich that comes with fries, see if you can swap out the fries for steamed broccoli, or swap mayo for mustard. Simples swaps like these can help cut out a few calories.
7. Skip The Bread Basket. Many restaurants offer a pre-dinner bread basket and it is very easy to overeat. If you are tempted to eat the bread, see if you can send them back and ask for a salad (with the dressing on the side) instead.
Eating at a restaurant and away from home can be very tricky. It is best to be mindful of what you are eating so that you don’t overeat or eat unnecessary calories. Try to stick with your diet and follow these simple tricks and you will be good to go!
Do you have any tips for staying healthy while eating out? Please share with us in the comments below!
Brandi Monasco is a freelance writer, graphic designer and social media manager from Texas. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts and has recently found a new love for health and nutrition.
Latest posts by Brandi Monasco (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS