How To Read Olive Oil Labels To Avoid Buying The Fakes
I bet if you open your kitchen cabinet, you will find some olive oil somewhere.
Olive oil is delicious in pasta dishes, salad dressing and baked vegetable dishes and great for cooking in general. However, it is more than just a cooking oil – it contains many health benefits. There are also many interesting facts to learn about olive oil.
What is olive oil? How is it made? What is the history of olive oil? What types of olive oils are out there? How do you choose the best one? How do you use it? What are its benefits? You will learn the answers to all these questions in this article.
What Is Olive Oil?
Olive oil is the oil that gets extracted from olives. After the olives are harvested, they are washed and crushed between large stones or stainless steel blades into a paste. The paste gets spun to extract the oil. The result is a healthy mono-saturated liquid fat commonly used in cooking, but also for cosmetics and pharmaceuticals.
Olive Oil History
Olives trees originated in the Mediterranean. Olives have been used since 8000 BC and olive oil has been used since 6000 BC.
There are many different types of olives and olive oils that are used today for different purposes.
Types Of Olive Oil
- Refined oil: refined oils have been chemically treated and processed to hide imperfections. 60% of olive oils on the market are refined, however, they are not the best choice for your health.
- Unrefined olive oil: this olive oil is in its purest form without any chemical alterations. They are usually more expensive than refined oils.
- Virgin olive oil: this is an unrefined oil, but may have a few flaws in taste.
- Extra virgin olive oil: this is an unrefined oil with the best flavor and aroma meeting high standards. It is also the most expensive.
- Pure olive oil: this oil is not really pure, but a mix of refined and virgin olive oil.
- Light olive oil: this is a mix of refined and virgin olive oil that is designed to have lower calories.
Choosing The Best Olive Oil
Choosing the best olive oil is not as easy as you may think.
What Does Good Olive Oil Taste Like?
A good olive oil is made from quality olives. It has a pleasant aroma with a light bitterness and peppery aftertaste. As olive oil ages, it becomes softer.
Refined oils have no flavor or aroma.
How To Tell If Olive Oil Is Fake
Read the labels very carefully! If the label says seed oils, soybeans, or other ingredients, it is not real olive oil. Also, check for the harvest date and olive mill for authenticity. Olive oil from Chile and Australia are usually the best quality, meeting the highest standards.
How To Consume Olive Oil
- Raw and uncooked: this is the best way to consume it on the top of salads or drizzled on grilled veggies.
- Cooking: use it for baked vegetables, pasta and other dishes. Olive oils start smoking faster than coconut and avocado oil.
Storing Olive Oil
The best olive oils are in dark glasses to keep light out. Store olive oil in a cool place in a cabinet or pantry.
Benefits Of Olive Oil:
- Rich in antioxidants
- Fights inflammation
- Filled with anti-bacterial properties
- Good for heart health
- May help to prevent smoke
- May help weight loss
- May reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes
- Improves digestion
- Strengthens bones
- Delays aging
Now that you know everything about olive oil, I bet you are even more excited to use it.
What is your favorite way to use olive oil? Share in the comments. We would love to hear from you.
And remember, we’re in this together,
Kat Gál is a professional holistic health writer who helps health, wellness and nutrition businesses to market their products and services through quality online content. She is also a Certified Holistic Health & Life Coach. Kat is a multi-passionate writer, world traveler, nomad, runner, and cat-person. She is a lifelong learner who lives outside of her comfort zones stretching her boundaries and discovering beauty around the world. Reach out if you are looking for amazing blog content at email@example.com.
Latest posts by Kat Gal (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS