How To Reach Your Goals
By Lindsay Sibson
If you take a look at any popular diet fad these days, there are endless rules and instructions to follow.
Don’t eat gluten. Cut out sugar. Eliminate processed food. Don’t drink caffeine… or wait – it’s healthier to drink coffee with butter now? It can all be a bit overwhelming, confusing and super limiting as to what your food choices are.
We live in a world where pizza is just so darn delicious and Italian gelato should be considered its own food group (I’m traveling in Italy currently. My taste buds can confirm this statement.).
Therefore, when you are given all these restrictions on a new “diet,” it can feel like you can never have your favorite delicious treats ever again, which almost makes you want to reach for them MORE.
The saying goes that absence makes the heart grow fonder. BUT, when it comes to a diet, absence can definitely make the heart hungrier!
Therefore, instead of adopting the mindset of “I’m on a diet, I can’t eat THAT,” use these TWO words instead:
I choose to wake up early to exercise.
I choose to eat unprocessed, natural foods that nourish my body.
I choose to drink water with lemon instead of soda or energy drinks.
I choose to go to bed early and not watch “just one more episode” on Netflix.
You are the master and commander of your world and it is YOUR choice (and your choice only) as to how you conduct yourself moment to moment and day to day.
Will it be easy? Probably not! We are bombarded with images, offers and people that want to push unhealthy foods and habits on us. Just the other night I politely declined after-dinner gelato and my Italian host’s response was “OH COME ON!” – as if I was committing a crime by not indulging in the desert.
But it was my CHOICE. And I chose in favor of what I knew what was best for my health and in line with my current goals.
And the choice is yours in regards to what you eat, how you treat your body and what you think!
Here are some tips to embracing the “I CHOOSE” mindset when it comes to your health and your life:
1. Create A Compelling Vision: What do you want in life? How do you want to feel? How do you want to look? The clearer you get in regards to WHAT you want… the easier it will be to turn down that third piece of delicious pizza. When your vision and goals are clear, whenever you are faced with a tough decision, you can turn to your vision and ask yourself “Is this choice in line with my goals?” Keep your vision alive and in your mind by:
- Reviewing your vision daily
2. Keep Track And Celebrate: Did you make a healthy choice that you are proud of it? Acknowledge it in your journal and celebrate your success!
3. Exercise The Power Of “No, Thank You”: You don’t have to go everywhere, eat everything, or participate in every event that is offered to you. Learn how to gracefully say, “No, thank you” if you are choosing in favor of your goals and vision.
4. Let This Song Be Your Anthem: I adore India Arie as an artist and her song “I choose” is such a feel good song when it comes to being the best you can be!
Choose to be great.
Choose to be healthy.
Choose to be authentically you.
Choose to be happy.
It’s ALWAYS your choice.
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS