How To Optimize Turmeric Absorption For Super-Boosted Benefits
Written by: Jess Baumgardner
Lots of people are turning to food as a major source of health benefits. This is awesome, don’t get me wrong, but oftentimes, just eating the food isn’t enough.
A perfect example of this is turmeric.
Turmeric is a yellow spice that gives mustard it’s color and curry its flavor. It contains curcumin, which is a powerful antioxidant that helps to combat inflammation in the body. Inflammation can show up in many different ways from digestive issues to joint pain to acne.
Turmeric is amazing for your body and health – but there is a difference between just consuming turmeric and actually absorbing it. In order for your body to make use of this wonder spice and its benefits, most forms require that you take it with some fat and black pepper.
Turmeric is fat-soluble, which means it dissolves in fat. Without that fat, the curcumin is not going to get to where you need it (the bloodstream).
Additionally, the body often metabolizes curcumin before it can be absorbed. This is why you need the black pepper. The piperine in black pepper makes the curcumin more bioavailable (AKA the body can absorb more of it before it is metabolized!).
There are easy ways to make sure you are absorbing the benefits of curcumin with fat and black pepper:
1. Curry – Typically there is always some type of oil in curry recipes and this oil will serve as your fat. Coconut oil is a beautiful healthy fat and your best option if you are making curry from scratch! Put some fresh ground black pepper in the sauce as you cook, or on top of your finished dish.
2. Smoothies – Add a few dashes of turmeric and black pepper to your morning smoothie and add in some coconut oil or avocado. If you include this first thing in the morning, this ensures that you are getting your daily turmeric in! The turmeric and black pepper will be subtle in flavor, don’t worry.
3. Golden Milk Or Golden Milk Tea – This is an ancient beverage where you dissolve turmeric into a cup of milk and coconut oil. Try the recipe below!
In what ways will you add turmeric to your day? I hope you find it manageable to do and that the benefits are truly worth it! Give one or more of these options a try and see just how much more effective turmeric can be for you!
Turmeric Tea / Golden Milk Recipe
- Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth.
- Pour into a small sauce pan and heat for 3-5 minutes over medium heat until hot but not boiling.
- Drink immediately.
Image source: http://www.greenkitchenstories.com/immune-boosting-turmeric-lassi/
Jessica Baumgardner, aka Health Coach Philly, is a Certified Holistic Health Coach. She is dedicated to helping women improve their nutrition, reduce stress, lose weight and increase their energy through her personalized nutrition and lifestyle programs.
Jessica holds a Certification from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, the world’s largest nutrition school and the only school integrating over 100 dietary theories, from traditional philosophies like ayurveda and macrobiotics, to modern concepts.
After successfully using a holistic approach to prepare for her wedding in 2012, Jessica decided to share her knowledge of whole foods and healthy living with women, to help them fulfill their own personal goals.
Latest posts by Jessica Baumgardner (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS