14 Surprising Health Benefits of Kombucha & How to Make Your Own at Home
Article source: Wake Up World
By Alexandra ‘Earthie Mama’ Du Toit
I am a huge fan of Kombucha. It has been brewed and enjoyed for over 2000 years all over the world. Many cultures have studied this amazing concoction and applied it to their health regiments, from Russia to China, and early Europe.
I have been brewing Kombucha at my own home for many years now. During it’s brewing, it naturally carbonates and creates a refreshing and fizzy healthy drink! I attribute drinking this fermented tea on a daily basis to many health benefits I have experienced. And it’s easy to make it at home!
Benefits of Kombucha
Kombucha is an all round natural, healthy fermented beverage full of amazing amino acids, probiotics and essential minerals. Probiotic literally means “for life”. Antibiotics kill ALL of the bacteria in your body, even the good stuff, but probiotics re-establish the natural ecology and order of the intestinal system. Probiotics are believed to boost immunity, mood enhancer, fight allergies, detoxify the body and rid the body of disease.
However Kombucha is not a panacea. It doesn’t cure disorders, it simply brings the body back into balance so that it may heal itself naturally. That is the secret to how this beverage is able to do so much — it accompanies and supports your body’s natural immune system.
For that reason, the Kombucha benefits you experience may vary but it has is known for some of these great health benefits:
• Probiotics by the billions
• Helps to alkalize the body
• Helps in the detoxification of the liver
• Increases metabolism
• Improves digestion
• Relieves constipation
• Boosts energy
• Reduces the size kidney stones
• High in antioxidants
• Can be applied topically to soften the skin from eczema and other skin disorders
• Speeds up the healing of ulcers (kills h.pylori on contact)
• Helps clear up candida and yeast infections
• Aids healthy cell regeneration
• Lowers glucose levels to prevent spiking after a meal
Earthie Mama’s Kombucha Tea Recipe ~ 1 Gallon
- 1 Cup Organic Sugar
- 4-6 Teabags (Organic Green, Black or White)
- Kombucha Starter Culture ~ SCOBY (Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria and Yeast)
- 1 Cup starter liquid (from another Kombucha tea)
- Brewing glass jar
- Cloth cover
- Rubber band
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil.
- Turn water off , add tea bags ~ let steep for 10-20 minutes
- Stir in 1 Cup organic Sugar
- Let tea cool completely
- After it cools, pour in brewing jar
- Pour in starter liquid and SCOBY
- Cover with cloth and secure with rubber band
- Set in a dark place out of sunlight
- Keep undisturbed for 7 days.
- After 7 days try your kombucha with a straw or spoon. If it tastes too bitter than it has brewed too long. If it is too sweet put cloth and rubberband back on and let sit for a few more days trying it every so often until it tastes to your liking.
- Drink as desired.
- Put it in fridge right away or fill up smaller bottles almost to the top and store for second fermentation for more carbonation.
• You can flavor you Kombucha with organic frozen or fresh fruit, honey, ginger, herbs such as lavender or rose.
• If your Kombucha is too bitter, don’t throw it away! Use it for salad dressing in replacement or addition to vinegar.
• If your have too many SCOBY’s instead of throwing it away, compost it, worms LOVE SCOBY’s!
• If you have trouble finding a SCOBY, you can make your own by using some of a bottle of already brewed Kombucha and mix it with a cup of tea and sugar. A SCOBY will form at the top.
• If you can’t find any Kombucha, you can just leave tea and sugar to ferment, it takes a while but a SCOBY will form at the top.
Drew Canole is a rockstar in the world of fitness, nutrition and mindset, with a huge heart for others and doing his part to transform the world, one person at a time.
As the founder and CEO of Fitlife.TV, he is committed to sharing educational, inspirational and entertaining videos and articles about health, fitness, healing and longevity. He is also a best selling author and the founder of Organifi, an organic, incredibly delicious greens powder, chock-full of superfoods to make juicing easy no matter your busy schedule.
Latest posts by Drew Canole (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS