How To Calculate How Much Water You Should Drink For Your Body Weight
How To Know How Much Water To Drink Every Day
Even if you are exercising, eating well, getting enough sleep and taking decent care of yourself, you still won’t feel 100% if you are not fueling yourself with enough WATER.
Water is a major source of life. Your body needs it in order to function properly. You need it to:
- Transfer nutrients throughout your body
- Absorb nutrients fully
- Keep your kidneys healthy
- Boost detoxification
- Keep you skin healthy and clear
- Keep your muscles energized
- Maintain digestive processes
- Support brain function
- Boost weight loss/support
- Balance bodily fluids
If you are not getting the amount of water you need on a daily basis, your body experiences dehydration, which can become very serious depending on how little water you are getting.
Signs of dehydration include:
- Dry mouth
- Muscle cramps
- Lack of urine output
- Being lightheaded (especially while standing)
- Inability to produce tears
- Heart palpitations
- Difficulty focusing
- Nausea and vomiting
Your body is made up of about 60% water, while your brain is made up of about 70% water. The amount of water you need on a daily basis depends on factors such as your weight and activity level. You lose lots of water throughout the day through sweating, urination, breathing, etc., meaning you need to be consistently fueling yourself all day long.
How To Calculate How Much Water You Need
There’s a common saying about how you need at least 8 cups of water a day. While this isn’t horribly inaccurate, it is a bit too generalized, considering how everyone’s hydration needs vary. A more efficient way to determine how much water you need every day is taking your current body weight, dividing it in half and then drinking that amount of water in ounces.
For example, if you weight 140 lbs, you should be drinking about 70 ounces of water a day, which is a good 4-5 filled water bottles (depending on how much water your water bottle carries).
If you are an active person, consider dividing your current body weight by 2/3, instead of 1/2. For example, if you weigh 140 lbs and are super active, you should be drinking about 93 ounces of water a day.
Water is absolutely KEY to survival. Hydration should be a daily priority, especially when you are on the move, out in the sun, trying to lose weight, keep your energy levels balanced, etc.
Tips For Staying Hydrated
If you need some help reminding yourself to drink water, or if you think drinking water is boring, of if you just need some help staying hydrated, give one of these simple tips a try:
- Drink warm lemon water every morning – Morning is one of the most important times to get yourself hydrated again after a full night of no water. Spice things up with lemons and also boost your detoxification process while you’re at it.
- Carry a water bottle around with you – Having a water bottle with you constantly will help you get into the habit of sipping water all day and also help you keep track of how many times you drain the bottle (to help this further, put elastics around your water bottle – one for each time you need to drain the bottle, depending on the amount of water you need daily – and move one to the bottom of the bottle each time you empty it).
- Spice up your water with fresh fruits and vegetables – Have pitchers with your favorite fruits and veggies in them (limes, lemons, strawberries, oranges, etc.) and pour yourself some throughout the day.
- Eat hydrating foods – Eating foods such as watermelon, cucumbers, spinach, carrots, peaches, etc. can help boost your hydration levels throughout the day.
- Set reminders on your phone – Use your phone to set up reminders for when you need to drink water, accounting for the daily amount that you need. It’s good to especially make sure you are drinking water in the morning, before and during workouts, about a half hour before meals, an hour before bed, etc.
- Drink juice – Juicing and using our Organifi Green and Red juice powders can help not only fuel your body with superfood nutrients and benefits, but also shake things up while you’re keeping yourself fueled and hydrated during the day.
What are your tips for staying hydrated? Do you have any delicious hydrating recipes? Please share with us in the comments below!
Drew Canole is a rockstar in the world of fitness, nutrition and mindset, with a huge heart for others and doing his part to transform the world, one person at a time.
As the founder and CEO of Fitlife.TV, he is committed to sharing educational, inspirational and entertaining videos and articles about health, fitness, healing and longevity. He is also a best selling author and the founder of Organifi, an organic, incredibly delicious greens powder, chock-full of superfoods to make juicing easy no matter your busy schedule.
Latest posts by Drew Canole (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS