How To Bring Color And Creativity Back Into Your Busy Day-To-Day Life
POSTED ON April 18, 2017 BY Kat Gal
Written by: Kat Gal
Let’s start in medias res and watch this life-changing cartoon created by Madrid-based animators, Daniel Martinez Lara and Rafa Cano Mendez on how creativity disappears in the daily grind of life.
What do you think? Can you relate to the story?
This cartoon is all about how today’s society encourages the endless cycle of school and work, leaving no room for creativity. If you think about it, it’s quite depressing. As a child you were full of hope, dreams, ideas and creativity, but society has raised you to meet deadlines, rush, hustle, perform tasks and overwork and to also forget about creativity, happiness, joy and fulfillment.
But it doesn’t have to be this way! You CAN live your life differently.
The film leaves with an encouraging note, inspiring you to see life differently and to not lose your ‘colors’ and lust for life.
But how can you bring more creativity, joy and fulfillment into your life? Of course, you can totally decide to live an out of the box life, sell everything and travel, live off the grid, become a minimalist, unschool your kids, live in a commune or whatever else. Those are all cool options. As for myself, I’ve been living nomadically for 8 years and have been traveling internationally for more. I don’t own a house or car (and I have no intention to) and don’t have many belongings.
I am also choosing a natural and holistic lifestyle. This is what works for me. I can’t see squeezing myself into the “box” more, but there are certainly people who live much more ‘out of the box’ than I do. You can totally find what works for you!
Even with a 9-5 job, a house, a mortgage, bills, kids and anything else that comes with the picket fence, you can bring more color into your life.It really doesn’t matter where you are at right or how you imagine your life, it can be more colorful and childlike.
How do you bring more color into your life? First, think about what kind of things did you enjoyed as a child. What did you like to play with? What were your dreams? What were your favorite toys? What did you want to be when you grew up? What brought a smile to your face?
Journal about it. Make a list. Then do more of it.
If you wanted to be a ballet dancer, take some classes. No, you are not too old. A friend of mine started taking ballet in her 50s after a nearly 40 year hiatus, another friend took her first ballet lesson at 30. If you’ve enjoyed drawing, get a sketchbook and take 30 minutes each day to draw. You can also just color or take an art class.
Did you always want to travel? Do that. You don’t even have to go far away, discovering new areas of your town or driving an hour to a different town or park are great adventures. Dig deep and find what your inner-child wants and do it.
Instead of worrying about what’s not fulfilling in your life – perhaps it’s your job or simply the piling bills – do more of what’s fulfilling. Doing more of what brings color and joy can make the ‘bad stuff’ better too. Not to mention, it may bring inspiration to make more changes in your life. The colorful stuff in life can crowd out and transform the grey.
Here are 15 tips for how to bring more creativity, joy, and fulfillment into your life:
1. Get out to nature.Breathe in the fresh air. Try earthing. Hug a tree. Watch the sky. Watch the sunset.
2. Take some beautiful photos. Not for instagram, but for the fun of it.
3. Color. Coloring is relaxing and meditative and it’s something I’m sure you loved as a kid.
4. Go to a jumping gym or get a trampoline. It will increase your circulation and make you laugh.
5. Take an art class. Just do it, even if you are a beginner.
6. Take a laughter yoga class. You will laugh hysterically, I promise.
7. Find your tribe. Join some communities until you find one that fulfills you.
8. Attend ecstatic dance or 5Rhythms dance classes. You will be able to be 100% you without judgment being held by a community.
9. Try new recipes. Heck, create new recipes. Cooking and baking are some of the most creative and relaxing activities out there.
10. Hug some furry friends.Play with a puppy or a kitten. Volunteer at an animal shelter.
11. Volunteer.Giving back will fill your heart and help others. It can also help you discover new passions and talents.
12. Journal. Journaling is a great way to let your thoughts out, dig deep, express yourself and be creative.
13. Make a collage or scrapbook. It is seriously so fun.
14. Do some crafts and DIY. Youtube is full of tutorials for everything. Knitting, making clothes, creating dream catchers, building furniture and so on – you will find what you are looking for.
15. Eat a healthy and whole foods diet. When your body meets its nutritional needs, it will function better and will boost your mental health too.
Remember, life can ALWAYS be more colorful!
What brings color into your life? What tips do you have for others on how to bring creativity and joy into their lives? Share in the comments below. We would love to hear from you.
No juicer? No problem! Organifi Green Juice is a carefully selected blend of 11 different superfoods including turmeric, spirulina, lemon, mint, moringa and more. It was formulated for busy women and men who are looking for a way to super boost their health and support their lifestyle without spending a lot of time or money in the kitchen. Try it today!
Kat Gál is the creator of Long Distance Relationship Help, a site which offers tips, tools, inspiration and resources to create a successful and happy relationships, no matter where in the world you may be. She knows from personal experience that love is possible despite the miles, you just have to navigate your way around it. She is passionate about the world and finds her creativity outlet as a writer and educator. You can follow her on her website and her Facebook page.
During my FitLife transformation, I lost 70 pounds! That's why I signed up for the protocol, but the most exciting result is that I found ME in the process. I had been hiding under a pile of pounds, self-doubt, and grief! FitLife changed my life and I knew I had to share it with others.
-Lynne, Longwood FL
I started with Fitlife back in 2011-2012…I wrote into Fitlife asking for an extreme amount of help. I was 300 pounds, with high cholesterol, and Drew helped me transform my life. I lost over 130 pounds and I no longer have high cholesterol. Not only did I lose weight, so did my husband, who lost over 70 pounds!