How To Beat Holiday Stress
How To Beat Holiday Stress
Written by: Brandi Monasco
For many people, Christmas is a joyous time of the year that they look forward to all year round. However, there are also many people who dread the Christmas holidays because it brings on additional stress to their lives.
While it can be fun, things such as preparing your home for the holidays, social gatherings, shopping and even being around lots of people can be a little too much for one to handle.
If you are one of the many people that feel like there is additional stress in their lives because of the holidays, there are a few things that you can do to help minimize that added stress and have a fun and joyful holiday season!
1. Plan Ahead. Start making a list of things that you need to do for Christmas in advance. Some people start doing this a few months before Christmas just to make sure that they have everything that they need and gifts bought for everyone. Make a list of the people you would like to buy gifts for and what ideas you have for what those gifts are going to be. Make a list of what decorations you will need as well as any food or travel arrangements.
2. Make A Change. If there is something about the holidays that drives you crazy, such as maybe going to a relative’s house that you dread going to, try to make a change by having the party or the family dinner at your house. If you hate sending out Christmas cards each year, enlist your spouse or someone else to help with that task.
3. Keep Things Simple. One of the main causes of stress during the holidays is over planning and setting unrealistic expectations for yourself. If you are hosting a holiday party or dinner at your house, try to keep things simple. Make a list of the things that are necessary such as food and decorations. Also, remember that you do not have to do everything by yourself for everything to be “perfect.”
4. Shop Online. Many people do not like getting out in the Christmas crowd and dealing with strangers. If this is you, shop online. That is why it is there! It’s easy, fast and best of all, your orders come right to your door. You can also shop for your food online!
5. Set A Budget. Speaking of shopping online, it is always a good idea to set a budget when you are purchasing Christmas gifts. While you may want to spend as much as you can when you find that perfect gift for someone, you always have to remember that you still have those monthly bills to pay, which can even create more stress if you don’t get those paid! Try looking for a realistic gift and make sure that you do not overspend on each person.
The most important thing to remember during Christmastime is to have FUN! Try to relax, be around people you love and love you back and make memories!
Brandi Monasco is a freelance writer, graphic designer and social media manager from Texas. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts and has recently found a new love for health and nutrition.
Latest posts by Brandi Monasco (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS