Homemade Insect Repellent
Written by: Drew Canole
Summer is here (almost)! And so are the bugs. Prepare yourself and your family with the right essential oils to keep the bugs away naturally. I like to say: if you wouldn’t eat something, don’t put it on your skin. I don’t know very many people who would swallow a spray of bug repellent… so let’s stick to the natural stuff! Make a big batch of this natural insect repellent to last you through the summer.
Coconut Oil and Shea Butter are both fantastic for your skin. Not only because they help it stay hydrated but because they are packed with several important vitamins and have natural antibacterial and antifungal properties. They are used in all kinds of skin care products because they really work to help keep your skin soft and clear. They also provide the perfect base for essential oils, which are extremely concentrated on their own.
I’m sure you’ve all had experiences with essential oils. I’ve used them for several years now and couldn’t be happier with the results. Mother Nature without fail always provides us with what we need to thrive, we simply have to know where to look.
Let me know if this works for you or if you come up with a concoction that’s even better! Always love to hear from our readers. 🙂
Homemade Insect Repellent Balm
- ½ Cup Coconut Oil
- ¼ Shea Butter
- 8 tsp Beeswax Granules
- 24 drops of peppermint oil
- 10 drops rosemary essential oil
- 10 drops lemongrass essential oil
- 10 drops tea tree (melaleuca) essential oil
- Use a double boiler to bring water to a boil. Put in the coconut oil and shea butter, whisk together until melted.
- Add the beeswax granules until melted into the mixture.
- Once the texture is a good consistency, remove from pan and let cool for 3-5 minutes.
- Whisk in the essential oils.
- Pour the liquid into jars and let it cool at room temperature before putting the lid on.
Drew Canole is a rockstar in the world of fitness, nutrition and mindset, with a huge heart for others and doing his part to transform the world, one person at a time.
As the founder and CEO of Fitlife.TV, he is committed to sharing educational, inspirational and entertaining videos and articles about health, fitness, healing and longevity. He is also a best selling author and the founder of Organifi, an organic, incredibly delicious greens powder, chock-full of superfoods to make juicing easy no matter your busy schedule.
Latest posts by Drew Canole (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS