Homemade Healthy Bagels (Gluten Free & Vegan)
Written by: Lindsay Sibson
Need I say anything more about the joys of eating a BAGEL? I think NOT – they are everything you can ask for and more in a bread product…
That is, unless your body doesn’t tolerate gluten very well. Ugh.
With food allergies and intolerances on the rise, a growing number of people are recognizing the damaging effects of eating gluten-rich foods, such as bread. Symptoms of gluten sensitivity include: “foggy mind,” depression, constipation, diarrhea, bloating, ADHD, fatigue, headaches and abdominal pain.
But as a Fitlifer, we don’t take NO for an answer… we just find a healthier solution!
Alas – here is your solution for a body-friendly homemade BAGEL!
Enjoy these bagels right away or store them in your freezer for future use!
How To Make The Ultimate Healthy Bagel
- Heat the milk (or water) to 100 degrees and add the yeast and raw sugar (or honey).
- Mix and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, guar gum and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine the heated liquid and oil and slowly mix in all of the flour.
- Mix with clean hands to avoid big lumps from forming.
- Knead and mix the dough until smooth and all ingredients are well combined.
- To make the bagels, scoop about ½ of a cup of dough with wet hands and form it into a ball.
- Use your finger to poke a hole in the center.
- Shape the bagel with your hands.
- Place the bagels on a baking sheet lined with individual sheets of parchment paper for each bagel.
- Brush the tops of the bagels with some oil.
- Cover all of the bagels with plastic wrap and place in a warm place for about 20 minutes to allow them to rise.
- To cook the bagels, bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil and gently drop in 1-2 bagels at a time.
- Boil on each side for ONLY 30 seconds. Do not leave them too long otherwise they will soak up too much water and become soggy.
- Remove parchment paper pieces.
- Place the boiled bagel back on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the bagels with sea salt and then bake for 15 minutes at 450 degrees.
- Bake until golden brown.
These bagels are the perfect vessel to enjoy some tasty spreads or dips, such as:
No juicer? No problem! Organifi Green Juice is a carefully selected blend of 11 different superfoods including turmeric, spirulina, lemon, mint, moringa and more. It was formulated for busy women and men who are looking for a way to super boost their health and support their lifestyle without spending a lot of time or money in the kitchen. Try it today!
-This post contains affiliate links.
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS