Hearty Rice Bowl Recipe For Healthy, Glowing Skin
Hearty Rice Bowl Recipe For Healthy, Glowing Skin
Written by: Kavata Kithome
If you are anything like me, then the winter is your skin’s worst enemy. Mine tends to dry out, feel itchy and look scaly – ugh!
During this time I look for ways to replenish and nourish my skin the only way I know how, from the inside out. Aside from moisturizing religiously, I eat specific foods that feed my finicky dermis at a cellular level on a consistent basis.
I love rice bowls because they can contain all the essential nutrients, making them the perfect meal. Imagine my delight when I found this amazing recipe that not only addresses my rice bowl obsession, but also helps feed my skin for a healthy glow, even in the winter!
This bowl has all the superstars like wild rice, sweet potatoes, probiotic tempeh and the sweet bite of dried cherry. This winter bowl is dense with essential minerals, vitamins and antioxidants that promote younger-looking, more vibrant and radiant skin. Can you say winning?
I know you are ready to get right to the recipe, but before we do, let’s look at why this bowl is a must-have in your recipe book!
1. Wild Rice
Did you know that wild rice contains up to 30 times more antioxidants than white rice? And that these antioxidants equal major free-radical-neutralizing benefits? Because of its essential mineral and antioxidant content, wild rice stimulates growth and repairs all throughout the body and slows the visible signs of aging. There’s about 7 grams of protein in 1 cup, cooked.
2. Sweet Potatoes
Adding in a vitamin C and beta-carotene-rich sweet potato helps the body produce collagen that maintains the elasticity of youthful skin and protects against signs of aging. Beta-carotene and carotenoids in sweet potatoes protect against the effects of aging, promoting younger-looking, more radiant skin.
Why tempeh over animal-based protein? This fermented soybean has a massive 16 grams of protein in as little as 3 ounces (the same protein quality as meat) and fermented soy products increase hyaluronic acid in your skin, the component that helps keep your skin firm, toned and hydrated. It is like getting a face lift from the inside out. It offers the health benefits of soy without the drawbacks of processed soy products, because it’s fermented. Tempeh has a good amount of isoflavone genistein, which provides anti-inflammatory benefits.
4. Dried Cherries
Cherries slow the aging of skin; they have the highest antioxidant level of any fruit and fight free radicals that speed up signs of aging. If you are not eating cherries, here is a compelling reason to start!
Walnuts make a showcase in this bowl because they have several unique and powerful antioxidants that are available in only a few commonly eaten foods, such as quinone juglone, tannin tellimagrandin and flavonol morin. Walnuts are omega-3-fatty-acid powerhouses and the healthy fats found in walnuts reduce skin inflammation and can protect your skin against UV rays. The addition of walnuts also gives this bowl an omega-3-fatty-acids boost and omegas lock moisture and nutrients into the skin, helping it look plump and glowing.
Celery is a good source of vitamins A and C, which act as antioxidants and protect your skin from the signs of aging caused by free radicals. They also contain vitamin E, which nourishes and moisturizes your skin. And the high water content in this veggie makes it one of your skin’s best friends.
7. Lemons And Oranges
Lemons and oranges have antioxidant, antibacterial, antifungal and astringent properties that help improve the appearance and condition of your hair, skin and nails. They are also rich in vitamin C and citric acid, so they can help brighten and lighten your skin over time.
When you combine all these amazing ingredients together, you get this amazing rice bowl:
Every ingredient in this bowl is exactly how one should be eating for a healthy, glowing complexion during these dry winter months! Try it out and share your experience and maybe even a picture in the comments below.
Wild Rice Winter Wonder Bowl
- 1 cup wild rice blend, uncooked
- ½ tsp Herbamare seasoning blend
- 2 tbsp organic olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 cups sweet potato, diced
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 8-ounce package of tempeh
- 2 tbsp coconut nectar
- 2 tbsp Bragg's Coconut Aminos
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ cup dried cherries
- ½ cup fresh, finely chopped celery
- ⅓ cup walnuts, chopped
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon and orange
- ½ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea saltand pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add wild rice blend to a pot and cook according to directions (add salt).
- Toss the diced sweet potato in coconut oil or olive oil, sprinkle with Herbamare. Arrange in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, until fork tender but not mushy. Set aside.
- While sweet potato cooks and rice steams, prepare tempeh. Add the coconut nectar, coconut aminos and chili powder into a small mixing bowl and whisk; set aside. Cut tempeh into 1-inch cubes.
- Heat coconut oil in saute pan over medium-high heat. Place tempeh in the hot oil in a single layer and cook until golden and crisp on each side (approximately 1 to 2 minutes per side).
- Remove cooked tempeh from pan and place into the mixing bowl with the coconut nectar and aminos. Toss tempeh to coat.
- In a large bowl, add the steamed rice, sweet potato, coconut tempeh, walnuts, celery, dried cherries and chopped parsley.
- Add lemon juice and zest and the orange juice and zest, along with a generous drizzle of olive oil. Add salt and pepper as needed and garnish with additional fresh parsley.
-This post contains affiliate links.
Kavata Kithome is an advocate for living your best life, full of health and longevity. While working closely with gym owners and personal trainers, she was able to sculpt a well-rounded view of fitness and understands how to incorporate it with a healthy balanced diet. She is a regular contributor to the One More Step Lifestyle brand.
Latest posts by Kavata Kithome (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS