Healthy Nut Butter Recipe To Personalize And Give A Shot
By Lindsay Sibson
“Eat the crust, it will make your hair grow.”
That is precisely what my mom used to tell me when I was munching down on my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches when I was a kiddo.
While the PB & J may be a staple for young kids, there is a growing market for gourmet nut butters that will tantalize your adult taste buds!
Sure, you can grab a jar at your local specialty market, but where is the fun in that?
It’s time to bust out your inner childhood creativity and create your own personalized nut butter!
But first, lets see WHY you should eat nut butter in the first place!
Benefits Of Eating Nut Butter
Nut butters contain a number of important nutrients, including:
The specific nutrients in nut butter vary depending on the type of nut, but all nuts are good sources of healthy fats. Just a serving of nut butter is a great source of valuable nutrients!
Now you have created a basic nut butter! It’s time to personalize it…
How To Make Personalized Nut Butter
- 2 cups raw, unsalted nuts or seeds
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 - 2 tbsp oi
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spread the nuts or seeds on a baking sheet.
- Roast until fragrant and golden (about 10 minutes), stir midway.
- Note: Watch closely because nuts and seeds can turn from toasted to burnt quickly).
- Place nuts/seeds into a food processor or blender and process for 3-4 minutes until butter begins to form.
- Scrape down sides as needed.
- Add salt and oil and continue to blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add additional oil if needed to create a smooth texture.
Blend in your desired flavorings or try out one of these delicious combos:
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- Zest of 1 lime
- ⅓ cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¾ cup sun dried tomatoes (packed in oil)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- Zest of 2 oranges
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
|Middle East Tahini
- 1 tablespoon za’atar spice mix
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Zest of 1 lemon
|Pb & J
- ¾ cup dried tart cherries
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- ¼ teaspoon each of: nutmeg, cloves, cardamom
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- ½ cup freeze dried mango, crushed
- ¼ cup unsweetened dried coconut
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
If you desire a crunchier spread, stir in some chopped nuts at the end of blending (or pulse them in).
How will you personalize your blend? Please SHARE with us in the comments below!
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS