HEALTHY Dessert Alert: Pumpkin Mousse (Vegan & Gluten Free)
Written by: Lindsay Sibson
You, reader of this article, are granted FULL permission to EAT DESSERT FIRST.
Go ahead… live a little… get down with your sweet self and dig into a delicious dessert now.
With holiday festivities in full swing, it’s the season for eating (and you know it’s not normal “eating…” but rather, more like GORGING on family feasts). Sadly, by the time dessert arrives the thought of one more bite of food is enough to make you want to explode!
But you, my friend, are smart and wise and will go ahead and eat that yummy dessert first… especially when it is a flavorful pumpkin mousse that is full of good-for-you ingredients.
Benefits Of Pumpkin Mousse
- Excellent source of fiber: helps your stay fuller longer
- Packed with vitamin C, which helps boost your immune system
- Full of the antioxidant beta-carotene
- Helps neutralize free radicals
- When your body has too many free radicals, it causes cell damage, which can accelerate the progression of cancer and other diseases
- Helps protect your skin from the sun’s wrinkle-causing UV rays (thanks to the beta-carotene!)
- A great alternative for people who have dairy sensitivities or allergies
- Has anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties
- Full of antioxidants
- Easy to digest
- Stimulates your metabolism
- Vitamins found in honey include vitamin B6, thiamin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid and niacin
- The nutraceuticals contained in honey help neutralize damaging free radical activity
- Regular consumption of honey helps maintain the flow of your digestion
- Naturally derived sweetener
- Zero calories
- Aids in weight loss
- Protects oral health and helps avoid cavities
- Prevents certain forms of cancer
- Reduces blood sugar
- 1 can pumpkin puree (15 oz)
- 3 cans full fat coconut milk (13.5 oz)
- ½ cup raw honey
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 2 ½ tbsp of pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 packets stevia
NOTES Before You Start:
- Refrigerate all 3 cans of coconut milk OVERNIGHT.
- CHILL the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk attachment in freezer for 10 minutes before use.
1. Remove 1 can of coconut milk from the fridge.
- Turn it upside down and open the can.
- Pour out the clear liquid into a container to store in the refrigerator for later use in smoothies, soups, etc.
- Scoop out the cream with a spoon and place in a medium saucepan.
2. Add the pumpkin, honey, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice and salt to the saucepan with the coconut cream.
- Cook on medium heat until the mixture simmers.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove from heat and pour into a large bowl that has been placed inside an ice-water bath (another bowl with ice and water).
- Stir the mixture to cool it faster.
- Let the bowl of pumpkin sit in the ice-water bath while you work on the next step.
- NOTE: It’s important to keep everything cold so the pumpkin mousse is stiff instead of soupy.
4. Once the pumpkin mixture has cooled, prepare the coconut whipped cream.
- Remove the remaining 2 cans of coconut milk from the refrigerator.
- Turn them upside down and open the cans.
- Pour out the clear liquid into a container to store in the refrigerator for later.
- Scoop out the cream with a spoon and place in the chilled mixing bowl.
5. Attach the whisk to the stand mixer and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Add 2 stevia packets to sweeten the whipped coconut cream.
6. Gently fold in ⅔ to ¾ of the whipped coconut cream into the pumpkin mixture.
- Be careful not to over-mix.
7. Fill a pastry bag that has been fitted with a star tip with the pumpkin mixture.
- Pipe it into 6 to 8 small dessert dishes.
- Do a little at a time, so you don’t warm the mousse too much in the pastry bag with your hands.
- Alternative: Scoop the mousse into dishes if you don’t have a pastry bag.
8. Top with a little swirl or dollop of the remaining whipped coconut cream.
9. Chill the pumpkin mousse in the refrigerator for an hour or two before serving.
- Store in the refrigerator up to 1 week in a container with a lid.
Spice it up by sprinkling a little cinnamon on top and then you will be good to go!
What is YOUR favorite fall flavored dessert? If you have a HEALTHY recipe to share, please comment below.
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS