The Green Breakfast Smoothie Recipe That Won’t Destroy Blood Sugar – Avocado, Protein, Kefir And More
Healthy Breakfast Recipes To Maintain Blood Sugar
Written by: Kavata Kithome
When I started my health makeover, I didn’t really understand my blood sugar levels and how they affected my overall health. What I did know was that people with diabetes check their levels often to ensure they are okay.
How Blood Sugar Is Measured
If you are not familiar with what normal blood sugar levels are, here is a quick summary:
- They are less than 100 mg/dL after not eating (fasting) for at least 8 hours and they’re less than 140 mg/dL 2 hours after eating.
- During the day, levels tend to be at their lowest just before meals. For most people without diabetes, blood sugar levels before meals hover around 70 to 80 mg/dL.
- If the blood sugar drops below about 60 or 65 mg/dL, this is called hypoglycemia. People will generally get symptoms, like some shakiness, feelings of hunger, maybe a little racing of the heart and they will usually be trenchant or if they eat something, it goes away right away. But if blood sugar drops below 50 and gets down as low as 40 or 30 or even 20, then there is a progressive loss of mental function and eventually unconsciousness and seizures.
- On the other side, if blood sugar gets up above 180 to 200, then it exceeds the capacity of the kidneys to reabsorb and the glucose can spill into the urine. This is called hyperglycemia.
Part of my on-going transformation journey is keeping my blood sugar levels in check. This is not always simple, because anything can throw off your blood sugar levels.
I believe that the way you begin your day makes all the difference in the food choices you make throughout the day. So, I would like to share with you two of my favorite breakfast meals that help me win at balancing my blood sugar levels every day!
I love a green smoothie! This is because I can pack a whole lot of nutrition and flavor in just one glass. I also love them because the options and recipes are limited only by your imagination. This is my favorite go to recipe:
- ½ avocado
- 1 cup spinach, greens of choice
- ¼ cup of mint
- ½ green apple (any fruit will do, I also love pineapple)
- ½ cups full-fat unsweetened kefir
- 1 scoop of blue algae/spirulina
- 1 scoop of vanilla flavoured protein powder
- Combine all ingredients in blender, blend and enjoy!
Thank to our friends at mindbodygreen, we have a vegan nutrient dense breakfast that will have your body tingling with joy. Chia puddings have been a thing for a while now and with good reason. They are abundant in healthy fats and protein that help balance your blood sugar levels, by helping slow the absorption of sugars into your bloodstream.
The business of staying healthy is a full time job. It is something we must do consistently, diligently and vigilantly. I would like to hear from you, do you have any must have recipes that help you balance your sugar? Please share in the comments below.
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup desired sweetener (honey, maple syrup)
- 2 tbsp peanut butter or other favorite nut butter
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts or almonds
- Place coconut milk, vanilla, sweetener and peanut butter together in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Stir in chia seeds and chopped nuts.
- Pour into desired container and place in refrigerator for between 4 and 24 hours.
No juicer? No problem! Organifi Green Juice is a carefully selected blend of 11 different superfoods including turmeric, spirulina, lemon, mint, moringa and more. It was formulated for busy women and men who are looking for a way to super boost their health and support their lifestyle without spending a lot of time or money in the kitchen. Try it today!
If you’re looking to speak directly with a member of our team regarding your health concerns and how we can help, give us a call: 619-404-3133. We love hearing from you!
Kavata Kithome is an advocate for living your best life, full of health and longevity. While working closely with gym owners and personal trainers, she was able to sculpt a well-rounded view of fitness and understands how to incorporate it with a healthy balanced diet. She is a regular contributor to the One More Step Lifestyle brand.
Latest posts by Kavata Kithome (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS