The Next Time You Have a Headache, Reach for a Handful of Almonds – Here’s Why
By Kirsten Cowart
Headaches and inflammation can be caused by many different things. The most common causes are linked to stress, tension, flu, colds, sinusitis and digestion issues.
When people first notice they are getting a headache, what do they typically do? They reach for their favorite NSAID pain reliever such as aspirin or ibuprofen.
The downside of these drugs is their side effects. Regular use of NSAIDs can cause major issues with your digestive system and liver.
The good news is that there is an alternative to these pills that is natural and will help heal other parts of your body as well. Next time you are feeling pain, reach for a handful of almonds.
Almonds contain salicin, which is a natural anti-inflammatory agent that is also found in willow bark. This substance has been used for thousands of years to help with head pain and other swelling in the body.
Other Awesome Benefits Of Eating Almonds:
1. Magnesium – In addition to helping with pain, almonds contain great amounts of magnesium. Magnesium is important for blood circulation, which nurtures the body. Magnesium can also act as a natural muscle relaxer, which can reduce moodiness and irritability.
2. Other Awesome Nutrients – 1 ounce (28 grams, or a small handful) serving of almonds contains:
- Fiber: 3.5 grams.
- Protein: 6 grams.
- Fat: 14 grams (9 of which are monounsaturated).
- Vitamin E: 37% of the RDA.
- Manganese: 32% of the RDA.
- Magnesium: 20% of the RDA.
- They also contain a decent amount of copper, vitamin B2 (riboflavin) and phosphorus.
3. Almonds Are An Awesome Source Of Antioxidants – Antioxidants protect your cells from the harmful stress of oxidation that can lead to premature aging and cancer.
4. Blood Sugar Balance And Control – Almonds are low in carbs, but they are high in healthy fats, fiber and protein. This can be an awesome win for anyone you know who has diabetes.
5. Cholesterol – Studies have shown that eating almonds regularly can reduce your LDL or bad cholesterol levels. This will lead to better overall health as your body and heart get the blood flow they need.
6. Weight Loss – Since almonds are high in fiber and protein and low in carbs, people who regularly eat them feel good and full without needing to eat a lot of other foods. This can assist with overeating that can add unneeded weight.
We recommend almonds for your daily life as well as keeping a small bag on hand whenever you have a headache or other body pain. Let us know in the comments below your experiences with almonds.
Kirsten Cowart is a writer and researcher that has worked in the spiritual, mental health and medical fields.Kirsten enjoys studying and experiencing the benefits of yoga, meditation, nutrition, herbalism, organic gardening and alternative health.She worked hard in 2014 losing over 40 lbs. and has since maintained a healthy lifestyle.Follow her to learn more about her journey on Twitter, Facebook & Youtube!
Latest posts by Kirsten Campbell (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS