Get Your Kids Eating Healthier With These Easy Foods
By Steve Fillmore
In today’s fast-paced lifestyle, parents rarely have time to make a nutritious meal for their kids, let alone themselves. A “nutritious meal” nowadays more than likely consists of a pop tart for the kids and a cup of coffee with a lot of sugar for mom and dad.
What is a parent to do? You want your children to do well in school. But how can you ensure this happens, you may ask?
It all starts with good nutrition from REAL food.
Here are 3 brain foods to keep your kids mentally focused and alert. And as the parent, YOU can benefit from these foods too!
1. Eggs – The protein and nutrients in eggs helps kids concentrate, says Los Angeles-based chef Beth Saltz, R.D. Here are 6 ways to prepare eggs for you and your kids.
- Easy Serving Idea: Scramble a few eggs and fold them into a whole grain tortilla. Your kids will get the benefit of the good protein-carbs without the sugar-induced energy crash. This will keep them full longer too!
2. Greek Yogurt – Fat is very important to brain health. When shopping for greek yogurt, be sure to get the full-fat plain yogurt with no additional ingredients. Typically, when there are additional ingredients such as fruit, there are additional sugars as well. And opt for organic to avoid hormones.
- Easy Serving Idea: Pack some yogurt with some easy fixings like blueberries, which are packed with polyphenols. SO good for brain health.
3. Greens – Greens are full of folate and vitamins. The best greens include spinach and kale. Spinach and kale have been linked to lower odds of getting dementia. Both help young kids brains grow.
- Easy Serving Idea: Add spinach to a smoothie or make some kale chips. Have your kids help make these. Kids love the idea of making chips that are green and when you give your smoothies a silly name like The Hulk, kids become excited to take part in the process and may even begin asking you for more!
Brain health is vital for your kids as they are growing up. You can easily prepare these foods ahead of time.
Enjoy and let me know how it goes in the comments below!
Steve Fillmore is a 2-time cancer THRIVER! His motto in life is: Love, Laugh, Live - Love yourself first; Laugh through all the crazy times; Live for life right now! Through proper diet, exercise and mindfulness, Steve has been able to recreate his body to work with and for him.
For fun, you can find Steve either teaching a Zumba class, or creating websites for clients.
Latest posts by Steve Fillmore (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS