Foods To Lower Cholesterol + Juice Recipe
By Sasha Brown
High cholesterol is becoming a problem for more and more Americans due to poor diet and lack of exercise. When you have high cholesterol, your risks of heart disease, heart attack and stroke increase significantly.
While it is true that one’s diet is the biggest culprit for high cholesterol, it is also true that changes in this diet can result in significant benefits. Eating more fruits and vegetables is a sure-fire way to lower one’s cholesterol and juicing is an exceptional (and tasty) way to do it as well.
Ingredients For Lowering Cholesterol
There are many ingredients that can help lower cholesterol and are great for juicing; here are a few of the top options.
- Oatmeal and other whole grains were found by Harvard Medical School to help lower cholesterol and they’ll add some thickness to your beverage if so desired.
- Oats and barley are some of the best sources for soluble fiber, which prevents the absorption of cholesterol within your body. And, while it is important to incorporate a wide variety of fruits and vegetables into your diet, there are a specific few that especially help lower cholesterol. Keep in mind that these are not 100% gluten free (oats are highly cross contaminated so just be sure to purchase gluten-free oats if you are avoiding gluten for any reason).
- Eggplant, carrots and okra are vegetables that are low-calorie, but high in soluble fiber, which binds to cholesterol and helps drag it out of the system. In addition, apples, grapes, strawberries and citrus fruits are excellent choices when juicing to lower cholesterol. These fruits are rich in the soluble fiber as well that helps lower LDL (bad cholesterol) levels.
- Leafy green vegetables such as spinach help remove cholesterol from artery walls, therefore reducing the risk of a clogged artery and a heart attack or stroke. Broccoli, kale, sweet potatoes and avocados should also be considered when juicing, as these veggies all contain niacin, which helps decrease production and increase removal of cholesterol.
While you can combine fruits and vegetables to make your own recipe, the recipe provided below is full of fruits and vegetables that are excellent in lowering cholesterol, and it tastes good!
Juicing is a fun and easy way to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your diet. Especially if you have high cholesterol, it is critical that you remove some of those fatty foods from your diet and replace them with fruits, vegetables and oats. Try various combinations of fruits and veggies to see what you like best. Feel free to let me know how your juicing adventure goes in the comments below!
- 3 celery ribs
- 4 carrots
- 4 broccoli heads (or 1 broccoli stem)
- 1 green apple
- 1 cucumber
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 1 cup of romaine lettuce (or kale)
- This recipe has a little sour and a little sweet to it. Process all ingredients through your juicer, pour into a glass and enjoy!
- For extra thickness and increased heart-healthiness, add ¼ cup of oats to your juice after it’s been prepared.
Sasha Brown is a widely experienced content writer with a zeal for the natural things in life. Also a certified herbalist, she has injected pure naturalism into her diet by eating purely organic foods. She loves to garden and cares only about the good health and happiness of others.
For more tips on healthy living, follow her on Facebook or visit her website where you will find posts on natural remedies, healthy foods, recipes, natural cleaning methods, gardening techniques and so much more.
Latest posts by Sasha Brown (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS