Flu Treatments Backed By Science
Flu Treatments Backed By Science
Written by: Kat Gal
Any time you open the news, any social media or search engine, there is something about the flu. You are being told to be afraid and get the flu vaccine. You don’t have to be a hypochondriac to be afraid that you may catch this disease.
Sure, you probably know people who are sick and some may actually have the flu. But do you actually have to be afraid?
Do You Really Need The Flu Vaccine?
Whether you get a flu vaccine or not is your choice. I trust that you can make an informed decision that feels best for you. But know that even if you are vaccinated, you are not 100% protected… far from it.
The flu vaccine in 2016 was only 42% effective, whereas the one used from 2014 to 2015 was only 23% successful. Though the media is full of stories of people who get seriously ill or die from the flu, according to the Lung Association, most of these deaths are actually due to pneumonia, not the flu.
The Real Problem With The Flu
The problem is not actually getting the flu, but the mismanagement of the disease both by doctors and by patients.
For example, if you have a mild fever, you may want to reach for aspirin or acetaminophen. Did you know that’s one of the worst things you can do? Unless you have a fever over a 103, do not reach for fever reducers right away.
A fever is your body’s natural way to fight inflammation and to secrete interferon, an antiviral chemical. If you are taking fever-reducing medications, your body can’t do this and can’t fight viruses as effectively.
Did you know that the 1918 to 1919 flu epidemic killed so many people because of the overwhelming use of aspirin? Whereas New York City has one of the lowest mortality rates from the flu, partly because Dr. Royal Copeland, the health commissioner of NYC and also a homeopathic doctor, has discouraged the use of aspirin and recommended homeopathic medicine and other natural methods of treatment.
Maybe it is time to recognize our body’s wisdom?
The Wisdom Of The Human Body
The human body is a living organism, not a machine. It is an extraordinary system with enormous powers of self-healing and defense.
Of course, your body can’t do it all. If you abuse it and fight against it, it will have a more difficult time to fight and heal from illness. This is where healthy diet, exercise, mindset and self-love come in. If you take care of your body, it will be less likely to get sick.
What if you still get the flu? Even strong body’s get sick. The healthier your body is, the easier it will deal with and recover from illnesses, like the flu. If you support it through natural methods, your body can recover faster and stay consistently healthy.
Homeopathic medicine is just one way to naturally support your body and get rid of the flu.
What Is Homeopathic Medicine?
Homeopathic medicine – or homeopathy – is a natural, safe, holistic and kind alternative to modern medicine. Unlike modern medicine, homeopathy doesn’t only focus on the illness and diseased parts, but your entire body.
When treating the flu, homeopathic medicine understands that everyone’s body, symptoms and experience are different. You may experience excessive thirst, or you may not be thirsty at all. You may have body aches. If you have a headache, it may be present in different parts of your head. You may have a dry cough, or you may have mucus. Depending on your symptoms, your treatment may need to be different in order to help you feel better faster and more effectively.
Does Homeopathy Really Work For The Flu?
There is a large number of scientific, peer-reviewed studies that all suggest that homeopathic medicine can be effective for the flu. One study done on 487 participants found that Oscillococcinum helped twice as many subjects recover from the flu within 48 hours compared to a placebo group. Another study from the same year also found significant results. Another study involving 372 patients also found that the homeopathic medicine given was significantly more effective than the placebo. One of the most recent and largest studies on homeopathic medicine done in Brazil has also found that homeopathy can be effective for the flu.
Homeopathic Medicine For The Flu:
- Oscillococcinum: This remedy works the best for those who have a particularly difficult experience with the flu and is the most effective used within the first 48 hours.
- Gelsemium (Yellow Jessamine): This particularly helps if you are feeling fatigued, weak and heavy, possibly some chills, headache at the back of your head and no thirst.
- Bryonia (White Bryony): This works the best for body aches and headaches at the front of the head during the flu and those who experience a dry cough, chapped lips and thirst.
- Rhus Toxicodendron (Poison Ivy): This remedy is particularly helpful for those with muscle aches, sore throat, restlessness and thirst.
- Arsenicum Album (White Arsenic): This is great for those who experience nausea, vomiting and fever.
The best way to determine which homeopathic medicine is best for you is by talking to an alternative health professional who works with homeopathy.
Other Natural Ways To Help Prevent The Flu And Recover Faster
- Eat A Healthy Diet. Eating a healthy diet with lots of green, vegetables and fruits filled with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals can help strengthen your immune system.
- Get Juicing. Green juices are the best way to get an insane amount of nutrient in your body in just one cup. A daily boost of greens can help your body to fight illness, including the flu. Drinking green juice can speed up your recovery if you do get sick. If you are too busy with juice, try Organifi Green Juice. One scoop mixed with a glass of water can boost your immune system and bring your other health benefits.
- Eat Immune System-Boosting Foods – Add foods to your diet that can fight viruses and inflammation, filled with antioxidants that can boost your immune system. Turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, garlic, honey, echinacea, licorice and oregano are only a few of these fantastic superfoods. Did you know that Organifi Gold has turmeric, ginger AND cinnamon in it to help your body fight disease?
- Get Rid Of Foods That Trigger Inflammation – Get rid of processed sugar, processed foods, artificial ingredients, alcohol and caffeine. All these substances create inflammation, compromising your immune system and health.
- Hydrate – Drink 8-10 glasses (8 oz) of water a day. Add green juices, green smoothies, turmeric drinks (like Organifi Gold) and herbal teas if you want. Avoid sugary drinks, sodas, alcohol and if you must drink, coffee, limit it to one cup a day.
- Heal Your Gut – Gut health has to do with everything, a compromised gut can even make you more vulnerable to the flu. Take probiotic supplements, eat probiotic and prebiotic rich foods.
- Reduce Your Stress Levels – When you are stressed, worry too much and sleep too little, it becomes easier for your body to feel run down and catch bugs going around, including the flu. Avoid stressful situations when possible, meditate, journal, breathe, do relaxation exercises, practice yoga, learn mindfulness and work on your mindset. Drinking a glass of Organifi Gold can help you to ease your mind and calm your body. It is also super delicious!
- Sleep Plenty – Sleep has everything to do with health. Sleep 8 hours a night minimum and if you are sick, sleep as much as you need to. A lot of healing happens in your sleep.
If you want to protect your body from the flu and other illness, these lifestyle and nutrition tips can help you. If you happen to catch the flu, remember these natural methods, including homeopathic medicine, to help your body recover quickly.
Whatever you do, don’t forget your green juice and to Organifi your life!
How will you protect yourself from the flu this year? What is your favorite immune-boosting food and recipe? Share in the comments below. We would love to hear from you.
And remember, we’re in this together.
Kat Gál is a multi-passionate writer, world traveler, nomad, runner, and cat-person. She is a lifelong learner who lives outside of her comfort zones stretching her boundaries and discovering beauty around the world. She is a Certified Holistic Health and Life Coach who encourages others to embrace their unique authentic selves, follow their heart and find their own version of freedom in life.
Latest posts by Kat Gal (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS