Everything You Need To Know About Motivation
By Fabrice Joseph
Motivation is KEY to having a healthy and fulfilling life. Without motivation, you are unable to take the necessary actions required to make important changes and improvements in your life.
Maybe there are things that you would like to do more of or succeed at, such as exercising more, following a 10-day detox program or completing a 12-week body transformation challenge.
Time goes by, you still have not done it, you beat yourself up and the vicious cycle continues.
To make the desired improvements in your life, you must understand how motivation works and how to leverage this power so that you can GET THINGS DONE.
Think of a time when you felt very motivated or compelled to take action in one way or another. Then ask yourself, what was important there?
Let’s take paying your rent as an example. What gives you the motivation to make sure that you have enough money – or let alone a job – to help you pay the rent?
You are probably motivated to have a roof over your head at the very least. Why? Because is it a non-negotiable factor. You have personal standards around having to have a home and you would do whatever it takes to make sure you have a roof over your head at all times!
Think of other non-negotiable factors that are in your life or past achievements where failure was just not an option. What made those achievements so compelling? These are important questions to ask, because they will allow you to find out what motivates you the most.
I am going to share with you a powerful process that I learned from life coach Anthony Robbins, which will allow you to boost your motivation dramatically if you play full-out.
The Dickens Process – The Key To Unlocking Your Motivational Vault
- Think of the steps that you need to take in order to achieve your goal, but for some reason, don’t feel motivated to take.
- Next, go back to your past and think about how this type of behavior or way of thinking has impacted you. Where did it all start? How has it impacted you in the past? What did it cost you? What have you been missing out on because of this behavior?
- After visiting the past, come back to the present and get real with yourself. What is missing in your life at the moment because of this behavior? What has this behavior cost you and now you have to deal with the ramifications?
- Next, go ahead 5 years into the future! If you don’t change right now, how will your life look in 5 years’ time? Imagine looking at yourself in the mirror and ponder on what this behavior’s cumulative effect has had on you during those 5 years. Are you where you expect yourself to be in life? Have you done the things that you wanted to do?
- Repeat step 4, but this time, go further ahead in the future. Visit your future self 10 years and then 20 years from now. What has this behavior cost you all this time? Where are you at in life in 10 and 20 years’ time if you don’t decide to change today? Really feel the pain and understand what this behaviour is costing you. What is it doing to your health, relationships, self-esteem and happiness?
- Finally, come back to the present, take a deep breath and know that this has not happened yet, but will happen if you don’t change now. Close your eyes and see how your life would look like if you decide to take massive action towards your goal now. What would taking consistent, massive action do for you in 5, 10, 20 years’ time? How has the quality of your life improved? Notice how good it feels to benefit from achieving your goals.
Now that you have completed the Dickens Process, you may feel a little bit shaken by what you have seen in the future. That’s a good thing. When your mind realizes the urgency in the situation – that change isn’t something you want to delay and that it needs to happen NOW – it will generate a power that can override any other limiting beliefs that you have about achieving your goal.
If you don’t feel more motivated, repeat this exercise until it really clicks in your brain that it is essential for you to change now.
“When the why is big enough, the how takes care of themselves.” – Dr. John F. Demartini
Now over to you!
What do you do to keep yourself motivated and how effective has it been for you to stay motivated? Share with us by commenting below and remember to share this post with your friends so that they can benefit too!
Fabrice Joseph is a Certified Master Hypnotherapist and NLP Practitioner. He has been the student of world-renowned experts in the field of Behavioural Change and Human Potential, thereby integrating multiple powerful methodologies in his coaching practice.
Fabrice’s mission is simple – to help people overcome their limiting thought patterns so that they can live their life to its fullest.
Latest posts by Fabrice Joseph (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS