Essential Practices I Do Every Morning – And You Should Too
Written by: Kat Gal
Self-care and self-love are powerful – beyond powerful, actually. It is essential to take care of your mind, body and soul. If you take care of yourself, there won’t be any other option but to feel alive – to feel happy, healthy, energetic and balanced.
Your morning is the beginning of your day, hence why a solid and beautiful morning routine is essential to a happy day. Your morning routine sets up the rest of your day in a positive way. I personally believe that my own healing and happiness is very much related to my morning routine, as it allows me to start my day on a happy note.
Trust me, if you develop a morning routine, you will feel much calmer, at peace, happier, balanced and excited about life, just like I am.
Check out my morning routine, which I hope will help you create your own perfect morning routine as well.
1. Gratitude: I feel grateful. I keep my eyes closed. I listen to my heart. Then I think about all the people and things in my life I am grateful for. The practice of gratitude allows me to notice the small things in life, to not to take anything for granted and to be grateful for every experience.
2. Intention: After gratitude, I set an intention for the day. Not to be confused with goal setting or a to-do list; I am not making plans. I am simply making an intention for how I want to feel, how I want to make others feel and what I want to create in my day. You can choose to be happy or choose to be sad in your life. I choose happiness each day and setting an intention helps me. Sometimes I pick guiding words, something I verbalize it in a sentence or two, while other times I simply feel them in my heart.
3. Journaling: After the practice of gratitude and setting an intention, I am finally ready to open my eyes and get to journaling right away. My morning pages are an essential part of my morning routine. I write three pages in my journal without stopping, without thinking, simply letting my hands move and my heart guide me. Journaling in the morning allows me to release unwanted tension, to express my emotions, to gather happiness and to find balance. Journaling is the cheapest therapy out there.
4. Meditation: Some may prefer journaling after meditation, but for me, writing then meditating is the best system. I am not going to lie, my meditation practice is not long. Sometimes it only lasts for 30 seconds, where other times it goes for 10-15 minutes. But it is essential for me to be present for a few moments to start my day centered and at peace. It’s been shown that regular meditation may increase happiness, reduce anxiety, improve the immune system, help to create more energy, create emotional stability and induce clarity.
5. Lemon water: Once I actually get out of bed, after nourishing my soul, I am ready to take care of my body. The first thing I do is drink 16 ounces of warm lemon water. It not only hydrates me, lemon water is also great for a healthy digestion and is full of vitamin C, which is great for my immune system. Since disease cannot exist in an alkaline state, pH balance is important. Luckily, lemon water is very alkaline, aiding in a proper pH balance.
After my lemon water, my day can start, which always includes lots of water, exercise, smiles, connecting with nature, writing, nourishing whole foods, meaningful conversations, coaching and other fun things.
Kat Gál is a multi-passionate writer, world traveler, nomad, runner, and cat-person. She is a lifelong learner who lives outside of her comfort zones stretching her boundaries and discovering beauty around the world. She is a full-time freelance health & wellness writer, content creator, and also a Certified Holistic Health & Life Coach.
Latest posts by Kat Gal (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS