Essential Oils To Always Have On Hand
By Brandi Monasco
Essential oils have been around and used for thousands of years. It seems that only recently they have come into the spotlight. A lot of people are learning the amazing benefits that you can get with them.
Not only can you diffuse them to make your home smell amazing, but they also have medicinal powers such as helping alleviate cold symptoms or soothing sore muscles.
If you are like me, you have a stock of essential oils in your home. You never know when an illness or minor injury might occur. Here are just a few of the amazing essential oils that you should always keep on hand!
- Peppermint. This has always been my go-to oil. It helps relieve allergy symptoms by relaxing the muscles in your nasal passages. It can also help clear out any of that nasty gunk that may be lurking in your nose. Peppermint oil is also great for relieving muscle pain. You can add it to your bath water and soak or massage a few drops on the area of the muscle that hurts.
Peppermint oil is a good oil to have on hand for your dental health as well. It contains the same chemical that store brand mouthwash contains, but is more natural. The oil can remove the film that builds up on your teeth that causes cavities.
- Eucalyptus. Eucalyptus not only gives off a “clean” aroma, but it can also actually clean for you! Eucalyptus essential oil works great as a hand cleaner and as a disinfectant. The oil has antibacterial properties that eliminate bacteria and germs.
It also has antiseptic properties that can help wounds, sores and cuts. It soothes the wound and adds a layer of protection against irritation or developing an infection. As with peppermint, eucalyptus works as a great expectorant if you are experiencing a cold. It helps to clear your airways of any gunk.
- Lavender. Lavender is also another one of my go-to essential oils. I love the fragrant aroma as well as the relaxing feeling that I get from diffusing it. Lavender oil can naturally alleviate the symptoms that come along with depression and anxiety while increasing your mood. It aids in relieving stress and improving your sleep.
Lavender essential oil has antimicrobial properties that help in speeding up the recovery of scrapes, wounds and cuts. It is great to be used on psoriasis, eczema and acne. The oil can also be used if you have itchy skin or a bug bite.
There are a few different ways that you can reap the benefits of essential oils.
- If you decide that you are going to apply an oil to your skin, be sure to first dilute the oil with a carrier oil such as coconut or almond oil. Applying any essential oils directly to your skin without diluting it first can cause skin irritation.
- Add a few drops of essential oil to your warm bath and soak for a bit.
- If you have an oil diffuser, add a few drops to it and place your diffuser by your bed at night while you sleep.
- If you don’t have a diffuser, you can apply 1 or 2 drops into the palms of your hands, cup them over your nose and take a few deep breaths.
Do you have a favorite go-to essential oil? A favorite use? Let us know in the comments below!
For a quick, easy and powerful concoction that can help you reach your health goals, PLEASE check out our Organifi Green Juice.
Brandi Monasco is a freelance writer, graphic designer and social media manager from Texas. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts and has recently found a new love for health and nutrition.
Latest posts by Brandi Monasco (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS