Enhance Your Digestive Health And Other Reasons To Eat Blackberries
Written by: Lindsay Sibson
Because I like you BERRY much…
I’m about to tell you something berry special.
There is a small, yet mighty fruit that has the power to invigorate your health in countless ways.
It also happens to be berry delicious.
It’s time to embrace and taste the healthy magic of BLACKBERRIES!
What Are Blackberries?
Blackberries are a tasty, juicy and versatile fruit that belongs to the Rubus genus in the Rosaceae family (which also includes raspberries).
Historically, blackberries were perceived by ancient cultures as a weed – BUT their medicinal uses date back to more than 2000 years ago. The Romans and Greeks used the blackberry fruit, leaf, bark and roots to remedy numerous health conditions, such as infections.
Blackberries contain a wide range of nourishing elements:
- Packed with vitamins: vitamin A, vitamin B (thiamine, riboflavin, niacin), folate, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K
- Full of minerals: calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, zinc
- Great source of amino acids
- Contains essential dietary fiber
Health Benefits Of Blackberries
|Better Digestive Health
- Source of soluble and insoluble fiber
- Essential for the optimum functioning of the digestive system
- Encourages better absorption of water in the large intestine
- Aids in regular bowel movements
- Prevents constipation
|Strengthened Immune Defense
- Blackberries have a powerful amount of antioxidants, which help protect your body in many ways
- Work against free radicals and protect against a range of diseases
|Assists Weight Management
- Low amounts of sugar
- Helps clean the bowels
- Fiber content helps you feel full and satisfied
- Low in calories – making it a great snack!
|Provides Cognitive Benefits
- Polyphenolic components in blackberries helps slow down age-related cognitive decline
- Help enhance memory and mental performance
- Improves behavioral and neuronal functions
|Supports Bone Health
- Contains important minerals essential for healthy bones:
- Calcium: strengthens the bones
- Magnesium: helps the absorption of calcium and potassium in your body
- Helps build strong bones and contributes to healthy cellular functioning
|Promotes Heart Health
- Rich in flavonols, magnesium and fiber, which prevents the arteries from getting blocked
- Help stimulate blood flow
- Reduces the risk of heart diseases (stroke, atherosclerosis)
- Maintains cardiovascular health
- Magnesium content regulates blood pressure
- Prevents cardiac arrhythmia and irregular contraction
|Get Glowing Skin
- Packed with skin friendly nutrients:
- Vitamin E: maintains the health of skin fats and prevents wrinkles
- Vitamin C: protects skin from oxidative stress. Helps form and strengthen collagen
- Other powerful antioxidants
- Helps keep skin toned, tightened and glowing!
|Can Protect Against Cancer
- Can be effective against the development of cancer (lung, colon, esophageal).
- Blackberry micronutrients prevent the growth of malignant cells
- Contain an abundance of phytochemicals that inhibit tumor growth and metastasis
How To Eat Blackberries
It can be as easy as tossing some of these delicious berries into your morning smoothie OR on top of a crisp salad.
If you are looking to get a bit more creative, try out one of these yummy blackberry-infused recipes:
- Strawberry and Blackberry Fruit Salad
- Grilled chicken with blackberry sauce
- Blackberry Chia Seed Jam
Do you have a delicious BLACKBERRY recipe to share? Tell us below!
No juicer? No problem! Organifi Green Juice is a carefully selected blend of 11 different superfoods including turmeric, spirulina, lemon, mint, moringa and more. It was formulated for busy women and men who are looking for a way to super boost their health and support their lifestyle without spending a lot of time or money in the kitchen. Try it today!
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS