Eat These Foods For Healthy, Glowing Skin
By Brandi Monasco
You already know that eating certain foods such as leafy greens, vegetables and dark chocolate can ward off chronic conditions such as diabetes and heart disease. You don’t normally think about your skin when you are considering your daily diet, but your skin is one of the largest major organs of your body.
Your skin protects you from daily elements and microbes and helps regulate your body temperature. Your skin also acts as a shield, insulated and waterproof, guarding your body against damaging sunlight and dangerous chemicals.
You always want to do your best to make sure that your skin is protected and healthy. But occasionally, you start to see cracks, blemishes, dryness, or you might even have a skin condition such as psoriasis. If you suffer from any of these ailments, even ailments that aren’t listed, there is hope!
There are foods that you can eat to help improve the look and health of your skin! Here are some of the top foods you can start with:
1. Blueberries. Blueberries are rich in antioxidants, fiber and vitamins A and C as well as many other different nutrients. Many of the vitamins that are found in blueberries can neutralize or normalize the oil in your skin, making it healthier. The vitamin C in blueberries can help strengthen the blood vessels that are just below the surface of your skin so that they are more resistant to breaking and causing spider veins.
2. Salmon. Salmon is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids that not only can prevent heart disease, but can also help keep your skin glowing and healthy. The omega-3 in salmon also helps keep your skin moisturized. Salmon also contains selenium, which is a mineral that protects your skin from sun exposure.
3. Spinach. There was a reason why Popeye always ate spinach – for his muscles AND to keep his skin looking great! Spinach is rich in antioxidants and nutrients and is what helps keep your skin smooth and looking amazing. Spinach is loaded with vitamins A, B, C and E, magnesium, potassium, iron and calcium. The vitamin A in spinach helps keep your skin cells healthy and repairs any wounds. Vitamin C works to repair any damaged skin cells and helps in promoting iron absorption. The iron found in spinach carries oxygen throughout your body.
4. Dark Chocolate. Dark chocolate is loaded with flavonoids, which are filled with antioxidant properties. These antioxidant properties help keep your skin hydrated, improve circulation and protect your skin from sun damage. Before you decide to pick up any chocolate bar, make sure that you are getting 60% or more of organic cacao.
5. Tomatoes. Tomatoes are rich in antioxidants and can help keep your skin looking young and fresh. Tomatoes also contain lycopene, which is an anti-aging antioxidant. When you eat tomatoes, your body naturally increases the lycopene and helps keep your skin looking young and radiant.
The next time your skin feels dry or you see a few blemishes here and there, instead of running to grab lotion or acne medication, try eating a few of these amazing foods. Eating these foods on a regular basis can really help the hydration and the appearance of your skin, making it look younger and feel softer.
Do you have any other natural remedies to help keep your skin healthy? Share with us in the comments below!
Brandi Monasco is a freelance writer, graphic designer and social media manager from Texas. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts and has recently found a new love for health and nutrition.
Latest posts by Brandi Monasco (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS