Easy Ways To Stay Healthy When You Feel Like Doing Nothing
By Lindsay Sibson
Eat natural foods, exercise daily and get at least 8 hours of sleep.
This is your path to feeling healthy and fit!
Sounds simple and straightforward, right? And it is! Until that thing called “life” happens and work, family and other commitments demand your attention and distract you from maintaining your healthy lifestyle.
I’ve been there. I love to eat fruits and vegetables and move my body. The effects of doing so leave me feeling energetic and happy. However, there are days (especially since I started traveling a year ago) where I feel like I have little to no motivation to “stay on track.”
There is the saying “When in Rome…” to refer to behaving how the people around you are behaving… and let’s just say that I’ve been following that advice a bit too much while in Italy. It has been a “When in Sicily, eat cannolis. When in Naples, eat pizza. When in Tuscany, drink wine. When in Italy, eat pasta.” I think you get where I am going with this.
You don’t even have to travel to feel the influences of the people and the world around you. Birthday parties, work events and just having “one of those days” can easily persuade you to step away from the gym and pick up that ice cream on the way home.
Instead of beating yourself up and feeling guilty for not getting your full workout in or for having that extra scoop of pasta at the work luncheon, commit to taking at least ONE small healthy action everyday (even on those days when you REAAAAALLY don’t feel like it).
It is the “something is better than nothing” attitude. And if you are anything like me who has an all or nothing disposition, it will take some effort to accept doing ONE small thing. However, the benefits of developing the habit of maintaining your health daily (no matter how big or small the effort) will greatly contribute to your overall health, fitness and happiness over time.
Here are 3 ways to stay healthy when in reality you feel like doing nothing but watching Netflix and taking a nap.
1. Drink At Least 2 Liters Of Water – This action is non-negotiable in regards to your health. Hydration is paramount to feeling great. Your brain is 95% water! And just a 2% drop in body water can cause a small, yet critical shrinkage in your brain – YIKES!
Water is the single most critical nutrient to your development and health. The amount of water your body needs depends on your size and activity level, so 2 liters is a rough estimate. I like to go by the “pee test.” Check out the color of your urine next time you go. If it is a pale straw or transparent yellow color, you are good to go! A golden color? DRINK DRINK AND DRINK SOME MORE WATER!
2. Eat A Meal Of Raw Fruits And Vegetables – Eating is something we must do every day and there are endless options of what to eat. Make sure that at least one of your daily meals consists of raw (uncooked) fruits and vegetables. The easiest way to do this is to start off with a healthy breakfast smoothie or fresh juice! The flood of micro nutrients will give you a burst of energy and start your day off on the right track. Other raw meal options include a salad with chopped veggies and nuts or a fruit salad.
3. 5 Minutes Of Movement – Exercise. We all know we need to do it, yet some days it feels nearly impossible to lift a finger. On those type of days, get up and get moving for at least 5 minutes. There are exercises and movements that you can do ANYWHERE!
Here is a 5 minute circuit to get your blood flowing. There are many options, so feel free to substitute your favorite movements:
- 1 minute of jumping jacks
- 30 second plank (right), 30 second plank (left)
- 30 seconds of squats, 30 seconds of lunges
The actions you take every day are what’s shaping your life. Therefore, even on those days when you don’t feel like doing much of anything… take one little step to maintain a healthy mindset and happy life!
“Sometimes, the smallest step in the right direction ends up being the biggest step of your life. Tip Toe if you must, but take a step.” – Naeem Callaway
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS