Do You Include This Herb In Your Food?
Written by: Brandi Monasco
Oregano is a flavorful herb that is used in Italian, Spanish, Greek and many other delectable dishes. It can be used either fresh or dried. It has the ability to draw out the ingredients that it is mixed with. It enhances the flavors of soups, sauces, salads, eggs and almost any other food you can think of.
Oregano is more than just for show, though. Not only is it beneficial for cooking and making delicious dishes, but it is also beneficial to your health!
It was originally used by the Greeks for relieving a variety of ailments and illnesses. It is loaded with high amounts of omega-3, manganese, iron and antioxidants as well as vitamin B6, A, C, E and K – and that’s only the beginning!
Here are 5 of the top reasons to start using oregano:
1. Oregano Is An Anti-Inflammatory. It contains a substance called beta-caryophyllene, or E-BCP. E-BCP inhibits inflammation. Research has shown that E-BCP could be particularly beneficial for conditions such as arteriosclerosis and osteoporosis.
2. It Contains Antioxidants. Antioxidants are beneficial for your body to maintain a healthy immune system. An active ingredient found in oregano called rosmarinic acid is a strong antioxidant that helps support your immune system.“Oregano has one of the highest antioxidant activity ratings, with 42 times the antioxidant punch of apples.”
3. It Has Antifungal And Antibacterial Properties. Oregano contains an essential compound called carvacrol, which is a very powerful anti-microbial. Research has shown that carvacrol, along with another compound in oregano called thymol, inhibits the growth of bacteria. “A team of British and Indian researchers reported that the essential oil of Himalayan oregano has strong antibacterial properties that can even kill the hospital superbug MRSA.”
4. It Is Great For Your Digestive Health. Oregano is loaded with fiber, which is beneficial to have a positive impact on your digestive system. Fiber also helps maintain your gut health and increases nutrient uptake.
5. It Is Great For Heart Health. Oregano is a natural form of omega-3, which is a fatty acid. This fatty acid improves cholesterol levels that can in turn improve your heart health and help prevent heart attacks and strokes.
When you are selecting oregano, it is best to choose fresh oregano over the dried herb. Fresh oregano is more superior in flavor than the dried herb. If you cannot find it or just prefer the dried herb, make sure to chose oregano that has been organically grown.
Do you already have some favorite uses for oregano? Please share with us in the comments below!
Brandi Monasco is a freelance writer, graphic designer and social media manager from Texas. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts and has recently found a new love for health and nutrition.
Latest posts by Brandi Monasco (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS