Do You Have Any Of These Unusual Symptoms? You May Have Adrenal Fatigue
Written by: Kat Gal
Adrenal fatigue and adrenal problems are among the most frequently talked about health issues. They are at an epidemic proportion in our modern culture and the number of people dealing with adrenal issues is exponentially increasing.
People are consuming more sugar than ever with a shocking 27% increase in sugar consumption since 2003. Processed sugar and caffeine consumed in large amounts can take a huge toll on your adrenal glands and sooner or later can lead to adrenal fatigue. Coupled with a stressful, busy lifestyle and a lack of sleep, you are setting yourself up for some serious adrenal gland damage.
Why Your Adrenal Health Is So Important
Did you know that your adrenal glands and your thyroid gland are linked? No wonder that adrenal problems often go along with thyroid issues. If you put your adrenal glands under extreme stress through lack of sleep, too much processed sugar, too much caffeine, junk food and a stressful life, you will likely develop thyroid problems that will manifest along with adrenal issues.
This goes hand in hand with insulin resistance problems, which are directly linked to longevity. By stressing your body and causing adrenal fatigue, you are decreasing your life expectancy as well. Insulin resistance issues can cause blood sugar problems, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, heart disease and stroke. That doesn’t sound all that fun, if you ask me.
It is important to catch early signs of issues and start taking care of your body NOW. There are some unusual symptoms that may seem insignificant or not even problematic, but may be early signs of adrenal issues. Let’s take a look at them.
Unusual Signs Of Adrenal Fatigue
- Dependence On Sunglasses: Chronic sodium-potassium imbalance prevents your pupils from properly creating a response to bright light. If your eyes are overly sensitive to bright sunlight, it may mean you have sodium-potassium imbalance and taxed adrenals. You can, however, improve your issue. Stop wearing sunglasses in midday – first for a short time, then increase the time – to strengthen your adrenals this way. Improving your diet by reducing processed and sugary foods will improve your issue as well.
- Hollow Cheeks: If you find that your cheeks are hollowing out, you should look at your diet immediately as it is likely caused by too much sugar and caffeine. Remember, too much sugar and caffeine will likely lead to adrenal damage sooner than later.
- Lines In Your Fingertips: If the skin of your fingertips is covered with vertical lines instead of being nice and pulp, it is indicating adrenal stress. Once again, eliminating refined sugar from your diet can improve the issue within a few months.
- Pale Lips: Pale lips are another sign of weak adrenals. People with pale lips tend to find that when eliminating refined sugar and caffeine from their diet their lips turn pinkish again. However, when eating a processed meal, they notice some paleness again. Try it out yourself. Eliminate refined sugar, processed foods and caffeine and let us know if you lip color has changed.
- Balding On Your Legs: Of course, if you are shaving or waxing it is more difficult to notice, but if you have bald patches on your legs or arms, it is usually a sign of adrenal fatigue. Also, boys entering puberty with sparser hair on their legs, arms and face usually have lower adrenal function.
- Unexplained Knee And Back Pain: Muscle weakness is one of the most frequent signs of adrenal issues. If you have back or knee problems without any injury, structural issue, or known physical problem, this may mean that you pelvic, knee and back muscles are too weak. Besides working on strengthening your muscles, it is important to focus on your diet as well.
How To Fix Your Adrenal Issues
If you think you may have adrenal fatigue or are at the risk of developing it, it is the best to set up an appointment with a holistic or integrative doctor for evaluation and professional advice. Working with a naturopath, holistic nutritionist, or holistic health coach may also be helpful.
In the meantime, you may follow the following tips to find adrenal relief and to begin your healing. These are tips that you will likely hear from your holistic doctor as well.
- Go To Bed At A Reasonable Time, No Later Than 10:30. Your hormone system cleanses itself between 11 pm and 1 am, therefore, it is helpful to be asleep during this time.
- Get Enough Sleep, 8 Hours Minimum, But Preferably More. Sleeping is necessary for your body for resting, cleansing and healing.
- Use Sea Salt In Your Dishes For Adrenal Health. Yes, you need some good salt in your diet! Don’t use processed, white salt, but use colorful sea salts and himalayan pink salt instead.
- Skip The Sugary Junk And Morning Joe. Your sugar and caffeine habit is the biggest contributing factor of your adrenal issues and can lead to serious health problems down the road. Reduce and eventually eliminate refined sugar, processed foods and all caffeine from your diet. Feed it with healthy, fresh and whole foods instead.
- Reduce Your Grains. Our modern Western diet is heavily depending on grains and starches that can be taxing to your adrenals. You don’t have to eliminate them completely, but reduce them. Choose organic vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds instead. If you consume dairy, choose grass fed, organic dairy and eggs and consume it in limited quantities.
If you follow these tips, soon your adrenals will be happy and healthy again. Your digestive system and entire body will thank you.
Are you experiencing adrenal fatigue or at the risk of developing it? What steps are you making this week to heal your body? Share your experiences and steps in the comments below. As always, we would love to hear from you.
Kat Gál is a multi-passionate writer, world traveler, nomad, runner, and cat-person. She is a lifelong learner who lives outside of her comfort zones stretching her boundaries and discovering beauty around the world. She is a Certified Holistic Health and Life Coach who encourages others to embrace their unique authentic selves, follow their heart and find their own version of freedom in life.
Latest posts by Kat Gal (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS