Detox Your Body Naturally
Written by: Kat Gal
Summer is fun. There is no doubt about it. Sunshine, festivals, grill outs, patio drinks, street fairs, street food, 4th of July, ice cream, cold beer, friends and laughter. Summer can just be one party after another.
But, even small family get-togethers and outings involve more indulgences than you probably planned on. This can be a big no-no for so many reasons, such as maintaining that bikini body you worked so hard for!
We’re nearing the end of summer and the weather is cooling down, kids are back in school and it’s time to get back to reality.
Back to reality also means getting honest with yourself. The summer indulgences were fun, but perhaps not the healthiest choices.
How can you detox from all the excessive eating and drinking you did over the summer?
Detoxing and eating healthy really are the same thing. Eating a clean diet and living a healthy lifestyle, rather than filling ourselves up with junk, helps to naturally detox your body without a whole lot of additional work. This detoxifying, healthy lifestyle should not be difficult either. I’ll show you what I mean…
While I understand that summer is fun and turning down ice cream or beer was difficult, don’t let these be excuses for ditching the lifestyle you’ve worked so hard to create long-term. Instead, getting a gentle kick-start or a deeper cleanse as you jump back into your healthy habits can definitely help!
For your efforts and information, here are some basic detox principles for a healthy lifestyle.
- Remember to be gentle with yourself.
- Sometimes less is more.
- Kindness towards yourself is crucial.
DO’s of a clean and healthy lifestyle:
- An alkaline diet: lots of fresh vegetables and fruits.
- Green drinks like green smoothies are super alkalizing.
- Big salads with lots of greens!
- Seeds, especially hemp, flax and chia seeds are great for protein and omega-3-s.
- A glass of warm lemon water is a great start of your day: alkalizing and good for digestion.
- Chlorophyll, wheatgrass juice and apple cider vinegar mixed with water are also great choices to start your day.
- Probiotics, vitamin-D, omega-3 (there are vegan ones!) are incredible supplements to incorporate daily.
- Meditate, relax, de-stress.
- Take care of your body: dry-brushing is great for your lymphatic system.
- Use natural and organic products on your skin, in your food and around the house.
- Move your body: exercise, dance, walk – just move.
- Get quality sleep.
- Smile more.
- Explore in nature, do some grounding, hug an animal.
- Hug people – and often!
DON’T’s of a clean and healthy lifestyle:
- Avoid processed food.
- Do not use chemicals on your skin and around the house.
- Limit animal products (they are often acid-forming) and if you do eat them, eat organic, free-range, grass-fed (quality).
- Limit stress and when it does come up, learn to manage it in a healthy way (meditation, exercise, journaling, etc.).
- Stop sleeping next to your phone.
- Avoid technology as much as possible, seek human contact.
- Avoid TV, social media and computer games before going to sleep.
Here’s A Sample Meal Plan For An Easy And Effective Detox:
Upon Rising: 16 oz of warm lemon water.
Breakfast: 16 oz of green juice or green smoothie.
Lunch: Big plate of salad with your choice of greens (eg. lettuce, spinach, bok choy), your choices of raw vegetable (eg. pepper, cucumber, carrots), sprouts, 2 oz of your choice of seeds (hemp, flax, sesame). And if you do eat animal protein, aim for 3-4 oz with your salad.
Afternoon Snack: 16 oz of green juice or green smoothies or raw crackers or veggie sticks with tahini or raw hummus or nut butter.
Dinner: Big plate of salad with your choice of greens (eg. lettuce, spinach, bok choy), your choices of raw vegetable (eg. pepper, cucumber, carrots), sprouts, 2 oz of your choice of seeds (hemp, flax, sesame), steamed vegetables (eg. broccoli, carrots), optional: avocados, tahini and beans.
Check out Fitlife’s recipe section for some inspiration!
I know getting back on track can be challenging, but I also know that you can do it! What are you tips to getting back on the healthy-habits train after too much summer fun? Comment below and share – I love hearing from you!
Kat Gál is a multi-passionate writer, world traveler, nomad, runner, and cat-person. She is a lifelong learner who lives outside of her comfort zones stretching her boundaries and discovering beauty around the world. She is a Certified Holistic Health and Life Coach who encourages others to embrace their unique authentic selves, follow their heart and find their own version of freedom in life.
Latest posts by Kat Gal (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS