Dairy-Free Chocolate Ice Cream
Written by: Brandi Monasco
Like many American’s, I can’t eat dairy. Not because I am lactose intolerant, but because I have an actual allergy to dairy. I end up having some serious sinus issues when I drink or eat anything with dairy, or even traces of dairy.
I do still like to have the occasional bowl of ice cream, so I’m constantly on the search for new dairy-free recipes that I can make right at home. Not only is this chocolate ice cream dairy-free and taste amazing, but the ingredients in it are healthy for you too!
Note: This recipe DOES include the use of an ice cream machine!
The Health Benefits That Come With This Delicious, Healthy Treat:
Dairy-Free Chocolate Ice Cream
- 1 (13oz) can of full-fat coconut milk
- ½ cup (about 10) soft, pitted dates
- 1 cup of almond milk
- ⅓ cup of raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- Put the dates and coconut milk in the blender. Puree until it is smooth.
- Add the almond milk, raw cacao powder and vanilla extract. Puree again until smooth.
- Place in freezer for about an hour, or you can refrigerate it until it is cold.
- Pour the mixture into the ice cream machine, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- You can eat the ice cream right away or you can freeze it until it is a little harder.
- If your ice cream is not thick enough, try adding 1 tablespoon of gelatin that has been completely dissolved in ¼ cup of boiling water to the mixture before adding it to the ice cream machine.
- Coconuts have amazing anti-fungal properties. These properties calm any candida in your intestines. Coconuts also have calcium that your body needs for building and maintain bones.
- Dates provide a variety of health benefits, such as relief from constipation and anemia. They are rich in vitamins, fiber and minerals such as oil, sulfur, iron and magnesium. The large amounts of minerals that are found in dates help with strengthening bones and fighting off diseases such as osteoporosis.
- Almond milk is prepared from almonds. Almonds are low in fat and high in lipids, protein, energy and fiber. They contain valuable minerals such as calcium, iron, sodium and zinc. Drinking almond milk helps in reducing and maintaining blood pressure. Also, since almond milk lacks cholesterol, it helps maintain a strong and healthy heart.
- Raw cacao contains important vitamins and minerals that your body needs such as magnesium, sulfur, zinc and iron as well as vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B9 and E. Raw cacao (or dark chocolate) contains flavonoids, which are antioxidants that are found in the plant. These flavonoids can lower “bad” cholesterol as well as high blood pressure. Raw cacao is also full of antioxidants that help the cells in your body resist damage by free radicals.
What can be better than having a nice bowl of homemade chocolate ice cream with ingredients that actually work for your body, instead of against? Give this recipe a whirl and let us know how it goes!
Brandi Monasco is a freelance writer, graphic designer and social media manager from Texas. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts and has recently found a new love for health and nutrition.
Latest posts by Brandi Monasco (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS