“Chia Fresca” Recipe: Natural Energy Drink
Written by: Lindsay Sibson
You and I both know that drinking water is important – REALLY, REALLY important.
But, water is water and tastes the same time after time. It can be a bit boring – right?
Instead of reaching for sugary sports drinks, soda, or processed juices (ALL of which damage your health), you can easily make a healthy, natural and energizing drink.
It’s that time again to get creative in the kitchen… and bust out your bag of chia seeds to make your very own refreshing “Chia Fresca!”
What Is “Chia Fresca?”
This drink is popular in Mexico, where chia seeds are often stirred into fruit drinks. This causes them to become gelatinous and creates a nice texture to the beverage.
Prized as a “superfood” by the Aztecs, chia was used for its protein, omega-3 fatty acid and fiber content.
Chia seeds are highly versatile and can be used for breads, baked goods, desserts and of course, this thirst-busting drink!
Benefits Of “Chia Fresca”
- Rich in fiber
- Great source of omega-3 fats and protein
- Packed with vitamins and minerals:
- Vitamins A, B, E and D
- Contains essential fatty acids:
- Alpha-linolenic and linoleic acid
- Excellent source of antioxidants
|Fresh Lemon Juice
- Acts as a blood purifier and cleansing agent
- Protects against inflammation
- Has many nourishing elements like vitamin C, vitamin B6, vitamin A, vitamin E, folate, niacin, calcium, iron, potassium, zinc and protein
- Provides deep hydration for your body
- Nourishes your cells
- High concentration of fiber, can help prevent indigestion and heartburn
- Contains potassium, magnesium and copper
- Source of antioxidants
Tip: if the seeds sink to the bottom, give the drink a little stir.
- 2 cups of coconut water
- Alternative: Filtered water
- 1 ½ tablespoons of chia seeds
- Fresh lemon or lime juice to taste
- Natural sweetener (stevia, maple syrup, raw honey)
- Glass jar with lid
- In a glass jar, add the chia seeds and water and stir.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes to let the chia seeds swell.
- If needed, place the lid on the jar and shake it to break up clumps.
- Add your fresh juice and sweetener to taste. Give it another shake until all ingredients are mixed.
- Remove lid and enjoy!
This drink is PERFECT for hot summer days or to hydrate after a tough workout.
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS