Carrot Dogs Recipe – Easy Vegan Alternative
Written by: Kat Gal
It’s only the middle of July. There is plenty of summer-time left, not to mention early fall; perfect time for grilling.
But what if you are vegan, vegetarian, or simply want to reduce your meat consumption?
There are plenty of store-bought and even more homemade vegan hamburger recipes out there. Today I wanted to give you a plant-based, vegan, easy and delicious alternative to hot dogs.
Drum roll, please…
Let me introduce you to the carrot dog!
- 4 carrots, cut into a size that fits to the bun or alternatively, greens for lettuce dogs
- ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar and a dash of salt
- ¼ cup of water
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce
- ½ clove of garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp of liquid smoke
- Pepper and other spices, to taste, as needed
- Buns or lettuce
- Boil water in a medium pot, then low the heat to medium.
- Add carrots and cook until tender, but not too soft.
- Remove carrots from the pot and run them under cold water to cool them, or simply set them aside for a bit.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients (soy sauce, vinegar, salt, garlic, liquid smoke, pepper, spices) in mason jar or other container for marinade. Mix well.
- Add carrots to your container or a bowl. Marinate them for 3-4 hours minimum, up to 24 hours maximum. The longer you marinate, the stronger their flavor will be. The thicker your carrots are, the longer time they will need.
- Grill your carrots on a hot grill or simply bake them in your oven at 350F for about 10-15 minutes.
- Serve it in a bun or wrapped in lettuce with your usual hot dog condiments.
What other vegan alternatives do you have for summer grilling? Share your recipes and tips in the comments below. We would love to hear from you.
Kat Gál is a multi-passionate writer, world traveler, nomad, runner, and cat-person. She is a lifelong learner who lives outside of her comfort zones stretching her boundaries and discovering beauty around the world. She is a Certified Holistic Health and Life Coach who encourages others to embrace their unique authentic selves, follow their heart and find their own version of freedom in life.
Latest posts by Kat Gal (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS